INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Ok this is Too weird!!!! If anyone noticed the humongous egg I took a picture of and posted the other day? Well this is why it was soooo big!
Yep it was a double yoker with a whole other egg inside!
this is definitely a first for me!

OMG, you must be feeding your girls Wheaties, lol. I have never even heard of such a thing, let alone seeing one. Thanks for sharing with us :)

:love I have some on the bator, but thinking the eggs may have got too cold to be fertile.
Don't give up too easily...a couple years ago I had my fav hen pass suddenly on Feb. 5th. I still had her last 2 eggs in the frig. Sentimental & saddened by the loss of my best girl, I decided to make an incubator. Keep in mind, the eggs had been in the frig for 4 days at this point.
1f60a.png
So, maybe... Good luck!

Countdown to crazyness.  My chicks should ship in six days.  I can already feel the hand-wringing coming on.

Can anyone in the Indianapolis area share any experience or insight on picking up chicks from our wonderful postal system?

My local post office in Indy is in a scary area. Scary to me because it's quite a bit more urban than my typical day-to-day activities.
In any case, I called the post office the day my chicks were supposed to arrive. I ensured they had my cell phone number. I called them every couple of hours just to be sure the chicks hadn't arrived without someone calling me. Eventually, the chicks arrived and the PO called me. I was a nervous wreck. Totally unwarranted from the PO side of things. They did everything right and my littles arrived safely.
I shipped started pullets after that experience. That also went well.
Don't worry. They will be fine, and the cheeping package will bring smiles to everyone at the PO.

love.gif
I have some on the bator, but thinking the eggs may have got too cold to be fertile.

I also hatched an egg that spent a few days in the fridge. (It was huge & my daughter was hoping for "twins.") I didn't think it would hatch, so I allowed her to add it with the others she just set.

Instead of a yummy breakfast, we got a funny-looking, mutt chick - named Omelet, for her changed destiny. Out of all the beautiful chicks we hatched, the ugly Omelet turned out to be my daughter's fav. She also made strange colored eggs as well. Now they're more greenish, but she's the only one laying colored eggs in this cold. My pretty Legbars are on break

I also hatched an egg that spent a few days in the fridge. (It was huge & my daughter was hoping for "twins.") I didn't think it would hatch, so I allowed her to add it with the others she just set. Instead of a yummy breakfast, we got a funny-looking, mutt chick - named Omelet, for her changed destiny. Out of all the beautiful chicks we hatched, the ugly Omelet turned out to be my daughter's fav. She also made strange colored eggs as well. Now they're more greenish, but she's the only one laying colored eggs in this cold. My pretty Legbars are on break
Great story! Love that egg color too! Mate her back to a Marans and add a dark bloom to that and pop!

FYI, I wanted to let everyone know the diseases which are considered "reportable" to the State of Indiana. This holds true whether the disease is diagnosed by a veterinarian, a laboratory, or you as a "producer." The state isn't going to shut anyone down, but they will give advise, etc., on culling or treatment or management practices if you wind up with one of the big bad diseases which are hazardous in our flocks.

Here's the link: https://secure.in.gov/boah/2372.htm
Sure most of the disease names were rather long and I'm sure I would not be able to pronounce them. Still I had to look this one up.
Turkey rhinotracheitis
It just sounds so much like a dinosaur name to me.

Its good that you post that the state won't shut you don't. I had that fear for a bit before sending in my first testing request to the free testing. I did not think my birds were sick, but the what if really did delay me sending in that form.

Omelet's parents were given to me as "mystery eggs." Dad hatched from a pink egg & mom from a normal brown egg. My guess is there may be some Marans & Easter Egger in Omelet's mix. Since DD called the orig chicks her "babies," she calls Omelet her "granddaughter." Although the roo was sweet & non aggressive, he crowed a lot & mated the hens bald. Before we gave him away, my daughter hatched several eggs he fertilized to choose a female offspring. The mama hen was also a fav, so DD set more of her eggs to be sure we got some sweet personalities.

What I found very interesting was the female to male chick ratios. It should come out to 50%, but we tend to get more females in every hatch. (This was not part of DD's project, just my own curiosity from the data.) When I looked at each hen's indiv offspring ratio, I noticed that the same hens who produced 2/3 female in the 1st incubation, did similar in the second & third hatches. My fav hen (Omelet's mom) gave us 7 male & only 2 female chicks. This makes me wonder if there are ways to increase the number of females hatched. Any theories?

Omelet's parents were given to me as "mystery eggs." Dad hatched from a pink egg & mom from a normal brown egg. My guess is there may be some Marans & Easter Egger in Omelet's mix. Since DD called the orig chicks her "babies," she calls Omelet her "granddaughter." Although the roo was sweet & non aggressive, he crowed a lot & mated the hens bald. Before we gave him away, my daughter hatched several eggs he fertilized to choose a female offspring. The mama hen was also a fav, so DD set more of her eggs to be sure we got some sweet personalities.

What I found very interesting was the female to male chick ratios. It should come out to 50%, but we tend to get more females in every hatch. (This was not part of DD's project, just my own curiosity from the data.) When I looked at each hen's indiv offspring ratio, I noticed that the same hens who produced 2/3 female in the 1st incubation, did similar in the second & third hatches. My fav hen (Omelet's mom) gave us 7 male & only 2 female chicks. This makes me wonder if there are ways to increase the number of females hatched. Any theories?
The hen determines the gender of the egg for chickens so it looks like you are on the right track documenting which hen produced more female chicks.

Back
Top Bottom