INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

Quote: Aw darn. If it wasn't for the chick eating I would take him. My barn cat passed away, she was pretty old. I have huey's ducklings, and her daughters about to hatch her brood too. Its easier for me to let the muscovy hatch their own, and saves incubator space too.
All of my barn cats tend to eat anything small that moves including chicks. But this one does it the least. When he was under a year he would not eat them unless they were already dead. He actually cuddled an escaped chick a couple of times back then. But I would not trust him today near a chick in a brooder box. I'm not too sure if a momma brooder would let him near her chicks / ducklings though.
I do know he is free of fleas as he got his generic frontline treatment this morning.

On another note I placed an order with welp hatchery for 6 black Hersey giants and 6 Cornish x
Hopefully I can cross them with each other and my rir and creat my hyper bird or least have some cool new additions

Good luck! Why not use the heritage cornish? less health and longevity and will give you a large breasted bird. Fast growth would come from a breed like leghorn.

Because I have to buy them anyways for my neighbor who is paying me for the meaties but covers the jersey giants too

Am still researching LGD and so far smooth collies have my attention. Opinions? I have an older mutt breed pug/Chihuahua mix I adore, Sadie is really DHs pet. This dog will be mine. I want a breed that's able to help with baby chicks to bottle calves.

Am still researching LGD and so far smooth collies have my attention. Opinions? I have an older mutt breed pug/Chihuahua mix I adore, Sadie is really DHs pet. This dog will be mine. I want a breed that's able to help with baby chicks to bottle calves.

I found a post from last year about dogs. I'm sure you have seen the untrained dogs that end up in the shelters. Still I thought with all of the information in her post, it might contain something helpful for you. The bit that catches my attention is how old the dog needs to be before it is considered useful as a LGD.
LGD advice:
I suspect many people don't understand what it takes to get a fully dependable lgd on all forms of stock against a variety of predators. Many new puppy people make two assumptions that are frequently incorrect... A) that just because it's and lgd breed it has the natural instinct to guard, and B) that with that instinct comes instantaneous dependability. Because many do not have instinct the new owners get discouraged and switch to "training mode". If you have to train an lgd to guard then you have no instinct. If they have that instinct then some guidance should be all they need. However, none of that matters of the dog is not started correctly - and this is where most breeders fail miserably. They don't understand the necessity of the bond.
So... What do you look for? A dog with instinct (watch the parents work - and keep in mind that "they don't kill my chickens" is NOT an indication of instinct), who was started correctly (meaning never been in the house and been with livestock 24/7 since birth regardless of weather or excuses), and has been permitted to succeed for their age. What this last point means is that bad habits are easy to develop when owners think they bought a puppy with adult intuitiveness and experience.
Number 1 rule of raising an lgd... Never put babies with babies. Why? Because you are setting them up with an unfair stimulus. You want to develop confidence, so set them up to be successful. And... set them up to fail "under your control" with the help ofa good breeder.
What does this mean? It means an 18 month old lgd should be "next to" poultry but not with them. They should be "next to lambs" but not in with them. Unless you are there and have the timing and experience to efficiently prevent disaster. IF someone says they have an lgd who has been with poultry since day 1 and never played with one or killed one, then they don't have an lgd, they have a deterrent.
Now... Good thing to note... a deterrent is all many people really need. And many different dogs can be deterrents. But i assure you that if you have heavy predation pressure from turkey vultures, fox, hawks, coyotes and big cats, a deterrent will not be adequate long term. But many folks who feel the need for an lgd really need only a deterrent.
For those who need an lgd, they usually buy puppies and expect them to work immediately. Bad scenario. But... "I lost 8 chickens in the last 5 nights, I need protection now!" Well, easy to find, but you better be prepared to fork over some bucks. So, best advice? Find a good breeder and buy a finished dog, or buy a started teenager or even a pup from a breeder WHO WILL GUIDE YOU and be there for you for the life of the dog.
Ok... That's my lecture for the day. Lol
To give folks an idea about what to expect if they have a need for an lgd. A puppy well started at 12 weeks old well go for at least $650, a teenager $1000, and I have seen finished dogs for as much as $4000.
Now, you can find lgd pups on CL for $300... 83% end up in rescue. Who knows, you might get lucky and end up with one of the 17%. But if you do I assure you in 3 or 4 years you will begin to understands the value of what you received without knowing the time commitment involved. The biggest problem new owners gave is their inability to monitor a new pup 24/7. Most folks have a job "off the farm". Hard to have good timing with teenage lgd's if you aren't there and can't trust them with the livestock when you aren't.
So... Many things to think about.
I specifically raised 2 doz cockerels this year just to have poultry to live with the teenagers over the winter. By spring, the teenager here who spends the winter with them will be much more valuable to any poultry owner. Same goes for the dog who is going through lambing for the first time this year.

So I couldn't help but inquire about the CL peacocks add. I need hens!

The scoop on that is there are 30-40 that need removed from a 17 acre property due to the owners being placed in a nursing home. All or nothing deal. So I hooked up with a friend that runs a wildlife rescue and are working with them to capture and eventually rehome. She is meeting with another gentleman tomorrow that is inquiring so waiting to see where that goes.

In the meantime I'm asking for volunteers willing to help transport, offer up crates, help with the capturing etc. Any help would be great! The city will be destroying them if not removed so this is a no Brainer for me! Luckily I have a few barns we can utilize storing them off of my property for quarantine purposes until they get an all clear for adopting out. Evidently there are approx 45 cats outside as well. My rescue friend will be helping with them also. So sad.

So PM me if anyone has the means to provide any of the help I've requested and we'll go from there. Oh and of course the crates would only be borrowed for the time necessary for quarantine. Once all the logistics are worked out if you have the time to volunteer I will let you know. Depending on the outcome of her meeting with the other man if we are to help I figure transport etc will take place sometime around the 17th of the month.

Thanks all!

The scoop on that is there are 30-40 that need removed from a 17 acre property due to the owners being placed in a nursing home. All or nothing deal. So I hooked up with a friend that runs a wildlife rescue and are working with them to capture and eventually rehome. She is meeting with another gentleman tomorrow that is inquiring so waiting to see where that goes.

In the meantime I'm asking for volunteers willing to help transport, offer up crates, help with the capturing etc. Any help would be great! The city will be destroying them if not removed so this is a no Brainer for me! Luckily I have a few barns we can utilize storing them off of my property for quarantine purposes until they get an all clear for adopting out. Evidently there are approx 45 cats outside as well. My rescue friend will be helping with them also. So sad.

So PM me if anyone has the means to provide any of the help I've requested and we'll go from there. Oh and of course the crates would only be borrowed for the time necessary for quarantine. Once all the logistics are worked out if you have the time to volunteer I will let you know. Depending on the outcome of her meeting with the other man if we are to help I figure transport etc will take place sometime around the 17th of the month.

Thanks all!
I am reaching out to anyone I know to help with this. I have a few nets. If its done on the weekend I can help.

I would help but all I have is tots and a family car totes not barrow able where is it I could probably help catch them though and maybe adopt a few

Thanks all!

I have three cat carriers I can loan out to the cause. Will this be of any value?

Back
Top Bottom