INDIANA BYC'ers HERE!

I know I posted in here once before about call ducks. And was able to get some ! :celebrate But unfortunately as i always am. I was blessed with all boys! Wondering if anyone is still selling babies/eggs or if anyone has any adult girls their willing to part with! Thank you :love
@pipdzipdnreadytogo can you direct or suggest any ideas on breeders? I know you pretty much keep a closed flock.

@jchny2000 Have you considered Belted Galloway? I've occasionally seen them and heard great things about them. They're naturally polled, have marbled beef, can be milked, are generally sweet natured, still gave maternal instinct, and are about the size of Hereford. Hereford might be cheaper because they're omnipresent, but I'm no cattle expert. Galloways look like Oreos and are known to thrive on nasty winters and forage other breeds shun, but Herefords are popular globally because they're also a tough, adaptable breed.

I've heard less awesome things about Angus. My mom used to show cattle in 4 H, and she said that you could whack a Hereford across the head with a 2x4, and it would just look at you, but if you did that to an Angus, prepare to die, pretty much. All of the Hereford I've met have been pretty docile--even with crazy, interloper teenagers in their pastures. Never met an Angus in person, but I've heard they've got good memories and a better brain for strategy. However, even Hereford can be taught dressage, so I don't think they're stupid so much as docile.

If you want inspiration, you can look up saddle cattle. I can't find that dressage video, though other people have posted videos and pictures of riding both beef and dairy breeds.

Last edited:
@jchny2000
I was thinking about your dilemma not being able to get the wood chips and wanted to put this out there as an alternative for your GARDEN. Ruth Stout uses Hay - at least 8" deep - then as it goes down, keeps adding.

You'd have to be sure they hay you get is NOT SPRAYED with anything but especially herbicides as it will kill your garden.

It's the principle of BTE except using hay in the place of wood chips.

Here is one of her books - very entertaining - and written in the 50's I think. I very much enjoyed her writing style and her common sense and ideas.

upload_2018-7-3_20-10-15.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Gardening-Without-Work-Aging-Indolent/dp/1626549532

Last edited:
I know I posted in here once before about call ducks. And was able to get some ! :celebrate But unfortunately as i always am. I was blessed with all boys! Wondering if anyone is still selling baubies/eggs or if anyone has any adult girls their willing to part with! Thank you :love

Check Craigslist. Pipd has one call hen that I know of, but it's her baby.

https://muncie.craigslist.org/grd/d/snowie-call-ducklings/6606944856.html
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/d/cayuga-and-call-duck/6626413188.html

This is a different small breed duck hen, but she's awfully cute
https://terrehaute.craigslist.org/grd/d/trade-bantam-bei-duck-cages/6607941883.html

These are two call drakes, which you don't need, though they are very cute
https://terrehaute.craigslist.org/grd/d/runner-ducks-call-ducks/6631700603.html

Not a good time of year to be looking for calls on craigslist, unfortunately. These are all the calls I could find in the last couple months. Maybe try the buy-sell-trade area of this forum or ebay?

Last edited:
Who had that cute duck named "Crashie" (or something similar)?
The egg dropped & had a small crack but still hatched into the cutest duck I'd ever seen!
I think Pipd has a trio, but yes she has Crashie
@jchny2000 Have you considered Belted Galloway? I've occasionally seen them and heard great things about them. They're naturally polled, have marbled beef, can be milked, are generally sweet natured, still gave maternal instinct, and are about the size of Hereford. Hereford might be cheaper because they're omnipresent, but I'm no cattle expert. Galloways look like Oreos and are known to thrive on nasty winters and forage other breeds shun, but Herefords are popular globally because they're also a tough, adaptable breed.

I've heard less awesome things about Angus. My mom used to show cattle in 4 H, and she said that you could whack a Hereford across the head with a 2x4, and it would just look at you, but if you did that to an Angus, prepare to die, pretty much. All of the Hereford I've met have been pretty docile--even with crazy, interloper teenagers in their pastures. Never met an Angus in person, but I've heard they've got good memories and a better brain for strategy. However, even Hereford can be taught dressage, so I don't think they're stupid so much as docile.

If you want inspiration, you can look up saddle cattle. I can't find that dressage video, though other people have posted videos and pictures of riding both beef and dairy breeds.
Yes am looking at Galloway too. There were some folks in Liberty that had them but they are gone now. I really don't trust Angus too many people have said they are aggressive. My Dad rode the steers when he was growing up lol.

Who had that cute duck named "Crashie" (or something similar)?
The egg dropped & had a small crack but still hatched into the cutest duck I'd ever seen!

I think Pipd has a trio, but yes she has Crashie

Pipd has all the cutest birds!
@pipdzipdnreadytogo If you read this, how about another pic of Crashie? I'm not a waterfowl person, but I must admit those call ducks are precious! :love
....... and while you're posting pics.... Got any silkied cochins or Dork pics?

My poor flock not only has to deal with the heat.... but some of the neighbors are going overboard with fireworks again. I think it's the nearby apartments walking to the end of the road and shooting toward the "big open space" = our backyards. Hopefully it will just be a couple days - and not weeks like last year! Last year was the worst because there were 2 nights when we were woken up by fireworks at 2-3am.

Back
Top Bottom