Indiana Chickenfest 2014

flyladyrocks

Songster
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Hi all - looking forward to Chickenfest and meeting all of you!

Here is a place to collect info specific to Chickenfest.

Chickcrazed - I also like the idea of a public Google doc to compile any info that it shared.

So I will start by sharing what I plan on bringing again, Gluten Free Mac-N-Cheese and, yep I already forget what I said (how pathetic is that!) but some sort of Gluten free dessert! If I have enough tomatos ripe I will also bring some tomato fresh mozzarella salad.

Hey, all! Thought I'd finally get over here and post what I have available for the Chickenfest.

For food, I'm thinking I'll do an assortment of baked goods. Cookies, bread, maybe rolls if others have sandwich fixings to put on them. My sister (the culinary arts student) overheard me talking about it, so she wants to participate by making pies or fancy breads of some sort. She also said she can make a potato bread that's gluten-free if anyone's interested. My sister also makes what she calls an 'alligator tail', which is basically bread wrapped around cheese and lunch meat. If anyone would like to try that, I'm sure she'd be glad to make a couple for the road. I'm not sure what else will keep for the 3-hour trip with no AC, so I think that's all I'll be able to contribute to the potluck.

I have nothing bird-wise for sale, really. I can, however, bring feed bags and cat litter buckets if anyone is interested. Most of the feed bags are green, but I have one or two yellow ones. The buckets all have the lids cut off so that there's about a 3" lip, to be used as nests. I still have most of the lids, though. I want to keep a good number of them for rotation, but I can bring around 8 probably if someone wants to start using them as nests. They are handy for if you have older birds that lay weaker eggs and have issues with egg breaking. Just pull them out, hose them, and let them dry overnight.

I don't really have much else to offer, but I'll post again if I think of something. :)

Apparently you need to be re-educated in the rules of chicken Math! You not only have at least 20 days till you have chicks (chicks not chickens!) then it will be at least another 20 weeks till they start laying, and they don't count til then so that means it will be a good 5 months till you actually have chickens, so that counts for way more the "awhile" so let me reassure you - you're good to get those eggs!
So that means that I don't have to count the other 80 or so (probably closer to 100) 1 to 4 month olds that aren't laying yet either, right? If that's the case I only have about 30 actually chickens and I really shouldn't have to count them because I think they went on strike as far as laying goes, or else they have a really good hiding spot for their eggs.

Tshirts Arrived!!

The Tshirts look really cool! I am posting a photo because they were silkscreened, which altered the look of my Photoshop artwork. Silkscreen printing is done one color at a time. Digital printing costs twice as much or more, the ink application is lighter, so the shirts have to be light colored.

These Tshirts are made to last, both with ink application and Tshirt quality. They're eye-catching and unique-- my neighbors love them, and they don't have chickens!
If anyone does not like this version, you can cancel your order. This is not meant to be any type of negative comment because the shirts are great, but the printing process is not like the example posted for ordering.

some info about the iowa blue hatching eggs we will bring to chickenfest:
#1: the silver pencil color is the breed standard color. we have only hatched 2 silvers in two hatches thus far. we have had more of the smokey & birchen colors + a few of the rarest charcoal color - so no guarantee of color from the eggs or hatching rate %age
#2 : we asking $18.oo / dozen or $9 / half dozen
#3 : Disclaimer - our EE roo generally only interested in the EE hens or our Chantacler hen, so being a "mixed" flock, i cannot guarantee 100% absolute purity , but it is highly likely they are
Let me know if still any interest

I would but it is too late in the season for me to be hatching. I've already filled up all of my growout areas. And I really really need to stick to my breeding plans and not start any new ones.

I am interested in at least a half dozen maybe a dozen. I am not supposed to get any more chickens for awhile but I wasn't told I couldn't get hatching eggs and they won't be chickens for at least 20 days. Iowa Blues have been on my list ever since I found out there were chickens beside what you buy at the farm store. Hope that you are able to attend.

Apparently you need to be re-educated in the rules of chicken Math! You not only have at least 20 days till you have chicks (chicks not chickens!) then it will be at least another 20 weeks till they start laying, and they don't count til then so that means it will be a good 5 months till you actually have chickens, so that counts for way more the "awhile" so let me reassure you - you're good to get those eggs!

Here is the list of people that I have that are attending Chickenfest.
jchny2000
Mother2Hens
CRSelvey
flyladyrocks
bradselig
SallyinIndiana
pipzipdnreadytogo
racinchickens
lilmizscareall
Minminme
chick rookie
zippy722 - possible
EurekaChic ?
barb s
FlockMaster - 614

Hope that I haven't missed any one

You missed me again!! I'm going to get a complex!!!

If anyone in the Indy metro area is planning to go just for the day and return. I was wondering if they would like to carpool? We could meet up on the East side and head over together.

Back
Top Bottom