Insect Protein for Chickens

U_Stormcrow

Crossing the Road
Jun 7, 2020
North FL Panhandle Region / Wiregrass
Appears Tyson thinks they can make the economics work at scale...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/20/business/tyson-insect-ingredients/index.html

For those following as the lab science becomes the practical.

I would expect that the home feed market will eventually follow suit. (Yes, I'm aware of Grubblies - their inclusion rates are quite low). I for one, hope it catches on and fills the specialty niche currently filled by "vegan", a terrible way to try to raise chickens. It may also help to produce higher crude protein, better AA balanced "organic" feeds, for those interested in that market segment.

Last edited:
It's a step in the right direction but it's a shame they're going to raise the insects on animal waste (according to the CNN article).

animal waste does not just refer to manure. It can mean feathers, fallen stock, culls, feet, heads, intestines, etc., any bits for which there is no better use. BSFL can be fed all sorts, and normally get e.g. veg peelings and other food waste, which does not represent quite such a tight circular economy as animal waste given as feed to insects that will be given as feed to animals.

Last edited:
This is just a paid ad for Tyson. Insect farming has been around a long time. The big hurdles are pests, diseases, bacteria, and protein in / protein out ratio making it difficult to be profitable. Purina markets an overpriced BSFL feed and refuses to disclose how much of the protein is BSFL, probably because its so expensive to add a significant amount to make a difference. I dont expect it to become a part of animal feeds anytime soon and I wouldn't feed it to my dogs or cat.

Back
Top Bottom