Insect Protein for Chickens

Appears Tyson thinks they can make the economics work at scale...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/20/business/tyson-insect-ingredients/index.html

For those following as the lab science becomes the practical.

I would expect that the home feed market will eventually follow suit. (Yes, I'm aware of Grubblies - their inclusion rates are quite low). I for one, hope it catches on and fills the specialty niche currently filled by "vegan", a terrible way to try to raise chickens. It may also help to produce higher crude protein, better AA balanced "organic" feeds, for those interested in that market segment.
I'll keep an eye out around me....one of their feed mills is in our county. We have an enormous amount of Tyson chicken growers around here.

I'll keep an eye out around me....one of their feed mills is in our county. We have an enormous amount of Tyson chicken growers around here.
Anticipate it will be "a while" before it takes a bigger place on the shelves for BYCers like us.

I'll happily content myself with allowing my birds to hunt creepy crawlies on my acres, but I know most aren't so fortunate.

Hmm... Maybe I can get a part time job harvesting Japanese Beetles for Tyson. Two hours a day during July and August. Store them in the freezer, and deliver right after Labor Day weekend to the Tyson Foods plant an hour away. Paid by the pound, of course, because who is going to count JBs even if they are frozen? :sick

I think I'll cut out the middlemen and just feed the JBs to my chickens. I have some in my freezer. :)

I sorely wish my chickens would avail themselves to the moveable protein feast that are the boxelder bugs swarming their yard right now. I think it must be the red markings, but they seem entirely uninterested in them. Or maybe they are eating them, but are just sick of them by now. There are literally thousands and thousands of them out there.

Last edited:
Got this reply from Purina today:

Question: How much of the 16% protein is BSFL?

Brand Name

Purina Product Expert 0 days ago
Answer: I'm sorry, Purina Free Range Layer Feed is no longer being made, this product is no longer available from Purina.

Back
Top Bottom