Interesting feathering

Chcknlvr123

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
I have an almost 4 week old mystery chick that hatched from a reddish brown egg with beautiful speckles. Initially I was thinking welsummer. He/she had a rough hatch, pipped early then over 24 hours later I realized there was a problem with the humidity because I saw bubbles, which interestingly enough the other 6 in the hatch had no problems, so I ended up assisting and ran into all kinds of troubles. I don’t usually assist in hatches, but I felt like his/her life was on the line if I didn’t. He/she was incredibly tiny and still had some unabsorbed yolk left. I wasn’t able to separate from the rest so she ran around the incubator with the unabsorbed yolk. It’s a fighter for sure!!

Now 4 weeks later I’m still mystified as to what breed he/she is and what sex. I do know that slow feathering can be an indication of a roo, but I wonder if the slow feathering could also be because of the problems with the hatch(small size and premature appearing)

As of now her comb appears to look like a pullet, but her lack of feathers on her backside has me wondering. The ends of her/his feathers are heart shaped which also has me stumped.

Has anyone seen this kind of feathering before or had experience with premature chicks?

Attachments

• IMG_6212.jpeg
    IMG_6212.jpeg
    877.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6211.jpeg
    IMG_6211.jpeg
    747.5 KB · Views: 15
Her breed could be basically anything. Where did you get the eggs? She does look like a pullet, and could just be developing her tail feathers later than normal. I'm confident she'll catch up to the others soon. :)

Back
Top Bottom