International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Checking in with an update on the birds. I lost my favorite blue copper hen the other day. For a few weeks prior to her death, I had been getting a very small egg from the pen she was in and I've not gotten it since she died so I'm assuming it was coming from her. I'm thinking she maybe had peritonitis or something. I didn't open her up to investigate.

I haven't managed to get any of Princess's or Duchess's eggs to hatch. No problems hatching eggs from my surviving blue copper, Xena, Queen, or Queen's daughter. Frustrating is an understatement.

I have hatched around 20+ Marans chicks. Hard to keep track of the number as they are of various sizes and in several different brooders. Their hatch down is good for the most part. Here and there one crops up with too much white but I am thoroughly documenting all of that and will avoid using those birds to breed.

I did notice a chick that hatched yesterday had the rusty brown head spot we've talked about before. Going to double tag it and keep a close eye on it as it feathers. I will do my best to take some pics this weekend.

:)

sorry for your loss. in these 4 years with chickens I lost almost all of my favourite birds. I am trying not to love any.

If you feel like a road trip, I'm in Montana and I am NPIP so you can get birds to Washington. I just hatched about 25, but I've only got black silver and blue silver and a few recessive whites. I have not tried shipping yet, but I live next to I-90 so it's not a hard road trip or somewhere unreachable. My blues are pretty dark compared to what I am seeing here, but this is my second year breeding blues and last year I was moving.
Thank you so much for the offer. I do not travel much. I have a severely disabled son. I am kind of at a loss on what to do. I guess I need to figure that out.

Thank you so much for the offer. I do not travel much. I have a severely disabled son. I am kind of at a loss on what to do. I guess I need to figure that out.
My husband is disabled due to chronic pain from work injuries, so I understand not being able to do much. I'm nervous about shipping, I haven't bitten the bullet yet and even though I have the right paperwork, I just worry I'm not going to get a good turnout.
I'm just a small time farm. Heh... Still, lots of people drive through Montana on I-90 so if you do happen to drive through, drop a pm and I will set something up for any of you.

IMG_20190503_092325700_TOP.jpg
IMG_20190503_092247685.jpg
IMG_20190503_092356009_TOP.jpg
IMG_20190503_092346519.jpg
this guy wouldn't hold still for anything. Is this close to the blue posted? He's a bit skittish.

why the marans breeders in the USA are so confused .
there is 2 marans club is the USA .why . I m lost to understand why .
Marans of America Club { MAC }
Marans Chicken Club USA {MCCUSA }

why they do no breed to the original SOP .very simple .

Little peddler s marans . she has a pure marans from Monique .she never mixed them up .kept them pure .

chooks man
There's 3 clubs now, you forgot "the Marans club" its the newest. Lol people don't get along or agree about something and they start a new club. Which i'm afraid i got caught up i the hipe. i'm a member of all 3 and not that impressed. Marans of America was started by brenda little from littlepeddler and she's has closed the club now. Here in the states it don't matter if you birds are from France once they enter the states the are "American", to me, that's crazy. That's like saying if I was born in France and then moved to the states i would no longer be french. Crazy stuff. So i'm guessing brenda probably got tired of everyone's bs. I think most just join for the egg shade card, i thought i would get educated abouts marans but that's case, I've learned more from the french and Australian clubs.

Checking in with an update on the birds. I lost my favorite blue copper hen the other day. For a few weeks prior to her death, I had been getting a very small egg from the pen she was in and I've not gotten it since she died so I'm assuming it was coming from her. I'm thinking she maybe had peritonitis or something. I didn't open her up to investigate.

I haven't managed to get any of Princess's or Duchess's eggs to hatch. No problems hatching eggs from my surviving blue copper, Xena, Queen, or Queen's daughter. Frustrating is an understatement.

I have hatched around 20+ Marans chicks. Hard to keep track of the number as they are of various sizes and in several different brooders. Their hatch down is good for the most part. Here and there one crops up with too much white but I am thoroughly documenting all of that and will avoid using those birds to breed.

I did notice a chick that hatched yesterday had the rusty brown head spot we've talked about before. Going to double tag it and keep a close eye on it as it feathers. I will do my best to take some pics this weekend.

:)
I'm sorry to hear that kayla, I know you put alot of work into your birds. Losing just one is a painful experience, especially when you think about what you had to go thru to get that bird to that point. Glad to see you back around.

Back
Top Bottom