International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

My rooster Antonio killed my most promising young rooster pecking him repeatedly in the head. The young rooster went into convulsions and died. I had just decided to confine all the roosters to a bachelor coop. I wouldn't let it go on.
Ive never had problems before but now I do. Its too hot for that kind of fighting. Seamus is so mellow and putting them together he became the devil himself. I took the beat up guy out and put him with my older hens. Peace and harmony again.
I put 2, four month old EE cockerels I plan to cull in the bachelor pen last night and Seamus doesnt bother with them. Strange.

Ive never had problems before but now I do. Its too hot for that kind of fighting. Seamus is so mellow and putting them together he became the devil himself. I took the beat up guy out and put him with my older hens. Peace and harmony again.
I put 2, four month old EE cockerels I plan to cull in the bachelor pen last night and Seamus doesnt bother with them. Strange.
Same for me, Antonio did not bother the other cockerels that I put in the coop at the same time, only that rooster. He was serious and deadly.

My only chick of the year! Yep, cockerel! I just put 18 eggs in the incubator from two different hens. It was 17 but accidentally added one from the other pen. So if a splash pops up we know why. I tried to see if I could figure out which egg it was but they are too much alike. Oh, I must be tired! I am really tired! There is no rooster in the other pen! Lol crises averted! :lau:gig:lau

Attachments

• 20220518_184729.jpg
    20220518_184729.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220518_190248.jpg
    20220518_190248.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 4
We here in Michigan have not set any Eggs yet . This week is the first warm weather we have had . We have found that our best Marans are not the early hatched ones '
Hi Don! I hope you have been well. Glad to see you. I just set a batch of eggs. I am not sure if they are even fertile. I didn't want to break any eggs to check. I am on a time-line with company coming for 3 weeks. I need to get them hatched and out of the house.

My only chick of the year! Yep, cockerel! I just put 18 eggs in the incubator from two different hens. It was 17 but accidentally added one from the other pen. So if a splash pops up we know why. I tried to see if I could figure out which egg it was but they are too much alike. Oh, I must be tired! I am really tired! There is no rooster in the other pen! Lol crises averted! :lau:gig:lau

This story is too funny!
Feels like your losing your mind doesn't it?

Ive done similar and woken up in the middle of the night with the realization.

I hope your cockerel ends up beautiful.

This story is too funny!
Feels like your losing your mind doesn't it?

Ive done similar and woken up in the middle of the night with the realization.

I hope your cockerel ends up beautiful.
Thank you! I think my minds already lost. Lol It's just way too much work. Definitely not enough sleep. Even with all the work I still prefer spring, summer and fall. Any season but winter.

Day 10 or 11 I think! Out of 17 eggs that went into incubator 11 had signs of life. One had the ring of death. The other 5 where not fertile. Not the best fertility but better then not at all.

Yes, better than not at all. I look forward to seeing them when they hatch!

I put my back up rooster in the pen with my older girls a couple of weeks ago. They hate him. He is not getting the job done so he is moving out.
I will try him again next spring and decide then whether to cull or not. He is the one Seamus wants to kill.

I have 25 bcm chicks in the brooder (spare bathroom).
My last hatch of the year. Ive had the incubators running since January.

I am hatched out, chicked out, just plain done.

Its been a good season and I am happy with the outcome. Time to sit back and watch them grow.

Back
Top Bottom