International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

IMG_3673.JPG
@Magnolia Hill I never did get a good pic when I set them loose this weekend. This is best I could get to show how slow one is feathering thanks to the constant faverolle photo bomb. Those are 3 of the marans of same order and I believe pullets. The naked one... well I don't know. Long legs and no tail yet. 6 weeks here. This was the best looking and largest chick when they arrived too so I'm a bit surprised.

I think it was @Tiegrsi who posted a white tipped pullet? Well I got one too. That girl in front. Love her size and shape so far so hoping she feathers out nice.

Breeding to the SOP and actually meeting the SOP are two totally different things.
Yes.... I worded it wrong
That question got me thinking as to what the goal is. From the marans club page:

"Hen : Black with red hackle markings but without the typical Birchen breast lacing. Very slight red breast marking is acceptable. Green sheen is not required"

So this tells me there isn't a specific amount as long as it doesn't fall out of the parameters. I like hens with a nice amount in their hackles but that's just a personal preference on looks. I'm hoping one of my pullets turns out sparser because my blue roo is over colored. I guess I'm also hoping that's how it works...
Thank you! :)

View attachment 1418000@Magnolia Hill I never did get a good pic when I set them loose this weekend. This is best I could get to show how slow one is feathering thanks to the constant faverolle photo bomb. Those are 3 of the marans of same order and I believe pullets. The naked one... well I don't know. Long legs and no tail yet. 6 weeks here. This was the best looking and largest chick when they arrived too so I'm a bit surprised.

I think it was @Tiegrsi who posted a white tipped pullet? Well I got one too. That girl in front. Love her size and shape so far so hoping she feathers out nice.
I can't tell to much by the picture but I'm sure it will be fine, it's hard but try to be patient and enjoy watching them grow.

A few of my best birds I got for next to nothing or for free. My first pair of show quality BB red standard Old English Games were given to me by a friend I met online and happened to live in KY. The hen had won best of breed at the Ohio Nationals an the pair are amazing quality and bred to APA standard.

Just because you pay top dollar doesnt always promise great quality from every chick. There will still be a lot of culls and few keepers from any Marans line from any breeder. Trying to find the best quality you can is great to get a good start, but dont expect perfection from all of them.

I charge top dollar for any of my Marans pullets or hens I sell locally, even though I'm selling my culls as layer quality because I dont care if they sell or not. I have given a ton away to friends as layers, and we eat all the roosters I dont use for breeding.

I have a long way to go before I start selling chicks or anything. I want to focus on bettering my own stock and showing. If someone approaches me and asks for chicks or eggs I will try to help them out, but I'm not going to advertise or anything and try to sell right now.

I agree though, you get what you pay for. I was referring to the going rate for Marans chicks in my area I guess. People wont pay as much for chickens around here. I have seen them advertised on a Kentucky sales page for anywhere from $8 to $15 each. If you order from a top notch breeder, absolutely you will pay more.
I can't even hardly sell one year old hens and roosters for $20 around here. I know I am just selling them as dark egg layers. It hurts when you played $20 each as chicks straight run. :sick

Do you all plan on separating your
I can't even hardly sell one year old hens and roosters for $20 around here. I know I am just selling them as dark egg layers. It hurts when you played $20 each as chicks straight run. :sick

Roosters around here you can forget selling for very much. I can usually sell the hens pretty easily though. You cant hardly give roosters away so we just eat them. Lol

I've got a ten week old cockerel.... he's. .. a bit under colored. His father is over colored and mother could be consider under or good... he is just now getting copper in his hackle like a pullet, while his brothers already have complete copper color and some saddle color along with over colored chests...
Coukd he turn out to be a "hen colored" rooster?

I've got a ten week old cockerel.... he's. .. a bit under colored. His father is over colored and mother could be consider under or good... he is just now getting copper in his hackle like a pullet, while his brothers already have complete copper color and some saddle color along with over colored chests...
Coukd he turn out to be a "hen colored" rooster?
He may be just a late bloomer and that may be a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom