International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Beautiful egg..... not too many of mine get named.  My favorite Splash was named Paloma, she was a pretty as a dove, Chooks man made me name the boys.  I have Gabby and Alma.  The two wheaten Ams are the "Sisters".  I do like naming them though.  I am going to try to do better.  I will put Blue Band on my possibles!  LOL

We name by something that stands out on a bird. Like "One Wattle", "block head", "old grouchy hen", etc. Thats the only way I can get my husband to know which chicken I am talking about. I do refer to my Cuckoo cockerel as Deuce because there were two brothers, Ace and Deuce, but only Deuce got to stay. We dont even attempt to name them all. Lol.

Last edited:
Quote: I am so worried about my chickens. They are in open coops. I am debating what to do. I think they might be better off if I let them out and they can find places to hide in the woods. The trouble is the storm will hit at dark thirty. Right when they want to be on the roost. Any one have any suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited:
I am so worried about my chickens.  They are in open coops.  I am debating what to do.  I think they might be better off if I let them out and they can find places to hide in the woods.  The trouble is the storm will hit at dark thirty.  Right when they want to be on the roost.  Any one have any suggestions or thoughts?

How many chickens do you have? If you have any large dog crates or big empty brooders, you could set them up in the garage or basement or something like that overnight

I am so worried about my chickens.  They are in open coops.  I am debating what to do.  I think they might be better off if I let them out and they can find places to hide in the woods.  The trouble is the storm will hit at dark thirty.  Right when they want to be on the roost.  Any one have any suggestions or thoughts?

How many chickens do you have? If you have any large dog crates or big empty brooders, you could set them up in the garage or basement or something like that overnight

Thank you..... I have 50 and no basement or garage.  Do you think 45 MPH winds will be too much for them?
we get 45-50+ mph winds out here on the open plains several times a year. Makes my hoop coop lean a lot. Chickens were fine.

Most danger would be from flying debris. So check that nothing inside Will fly around and hit them. Same for near by stuff on the outside.

Sending special guardian angels that multiply as needed for you and yours.

you could get the main ones like Gabby and roos etc that you need to carry your breeding plan forward in dog or cat crates inside.

Quote: Thank you..... I have 50 and no basement or garage. Do you think 45 MPH winds will be too much for them?
we get 45-50+ mph winds out here on the open plains several times a year. Makes my hoop coop lean a lot. Chickens were fine.

Most danger would be from flying debris. So check that nothing inside Will fly around and hit them. Same for near by stuff on the outside.

Sending special guardian angels that multiply as needed for you and yours.
This makes me feel a whole lot better. I am going to put up a tarp on the side that the winds will be coming from ESE to help with the debris and give them a little wind break. Thanks!

Quote: you could get the main ones like Gabby and roos etc that you need to carry your breeding plan forward in dog or cat crates inside.
So are you suggesting I leave the ugly chickens out of the evacuation plans?
lau.gif
I needed a good laugh this morning. Thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom