International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

How is this comb? Just about 4 mo. old.
[/URL]
I thought this comb had a split lobe. That is why I don't comment on combs.

Last edited:
Here are some Marans combs to critique.

1 Points on points forming "m"

2 Double comb point dips between 4 & 5
6514813.jpg

3 Out of proportion - too big - falling too far over the beak - short in the back

4174136.jpg

4 S shaped comb

9157997.jpg

5 Needs no explanation

LL

6 Lobe stuck to the head, side sprig

7643317.jpg

7 Split lobe, too-large comb, the second part saw-toothed, lacking depth of points, ‘sketched’ and rounded points, protruding front-of-comb, excessive number of points

2715122.jpg

8 Points everywhere

1582513.jpg

9 Point on a point

7024562.jpg

10 Side sprigs

4657070.jpg

Last edited:
Can I just say the last several pages of this thread, along with a plate of ricotta and spinach stuffed ravioli in carbonara sauce with fresh red chard and shrimp, has been a most enjoyable dinner hour. Carry on!

Can I just say the last several pages of this thread, along with a plate of ricotta and spinach stuffed ravioli in carbonara sauce with fresh red chard and shrimp, has been a most enjoyable dinner hour. Carry on!
Can I just say that sounds delicious! I am eating a banana and greek yogurt, no comparison at all!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...thread-breeding-to-the-sop/1370#post_17484373

Oddly (or perhaps not) the one Chooks Man likes is not included in that post. He does not have the vibrant coloring as the others so I kind of wrote him off.

But it is funny that people seem really like the big cockerals/roosters. SOP is 8 lbs but I think people like the ones that will exceed that. So, I think you need smallish/stocky chickens. They will stay at 8 lbs but will have the proper body shape.

Last edited:
I do not know much about comb but I'm going to try. I may be way off but that's how we learn right by trying.

1 I like the best to me it has good shape 2-10 seem to have trouble
2 has 5 points but the first two are stuck together
3 has no blade to the comb and has black spots on it.
4 The shape looks off more like a wedge then a comb it is wider at the base and thin on the points
5 Has to many points and the blade has a split in it
6 No blade to speak of and has what I think is a sprig on the blade both sides ( not sure exactly what they are or right name.)
7 Has a wide space between two and three not sure that is suppose to be there. Has some imperfections on the blade and a bulge in the center of the base
8 Has to many points,imperfection, wide split between points and some coloration troubles
9 Has a shallow division on the second point otherwise not to bad.
10 Back side of comb looks to have sprig on each side.

Again I'm probably total wrong but I give it a shot Please be gentle with me.

the french baby:

6 days old, supposed to be silver cuckoo but I wonder about the golden leakage??? looks like girl to me, any thoughts?

this is a hatch mate (rumpless araucana roo over red mottled mut):

any hope for a pullet? wild type, 3 colours at hatch. I guess will be rumpless or with a very short tail. the hen lays pink eggs so I was after a grey egger.

I do not know much about comb but I'm going to try. I may be way off but that's how we learn right by trying.

1 I like the best to me it has good shape 2-10 seem to have trouble
2 has 5 points but the first two are stuck together
3 has no blade to the comb and has black spots on it.
4 The shape looks off more like a wedge then a comb it is wider at the base and thin on the points
5 Has to many points and the blade has a split in it
6 No blade to speak of and has what I think is a sprig on the blade both sides ( not sure exactly what they are or right name.)
7 Has a wide space between two and three not sure that is suppose to be there. Has some imperfections on the blade and a bulge in the center of the base
8 Has to many points,imperfection, wide split between points and some coloration troubles
9 Has a shallow division on the second point otherwise not to bad.
10 Back side of comb looks to have sprig on each side.

Again I'm probably total wrong but I give it a shot Please be gentle with me.

You did a good job.... I am just waiting for others to weigh in before I post the answers. We have to try and not be afraid of trying. That is why I like our thread...... I don't have to worry about what people think of me..... I feel comfortable asking questions, even finding out I am wrong in a post, because it is all in support of one another. It is about the birds and not our egos.

You did a good job.... I am just waiting for others to weigh in before I post the answers. We have to try and not be afraid of trying. That is why I like our thread...... I don't have to worry about what people think of me..... I feel comfortable asking questions, even finding out I am wrong in a post, because it is all in support of one another. It is about the birds and not our egos.

did you post 10 faulty combs?

Back
Top Bottom