International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

now we are talking ,she is pretty .i ll breed from her even if she did not have leg never mind feathers .

I ll breed her just for her gorgeous red coppery hackle ( it is hard thing to get not a feathered shank need one generation to fix )

nice body type ,
nice deep chest .
nice hackle
nice long back
nice face
nice feather type .
nice black .

She look s like Chickengr pullet LUNA .

is she a hatch mate to the cockerel ( they don t look to me they come from a same parent stock . I could be wrong)

chooks man

Hi Chooks,
Yeah she is very pretty and has great shape and feathering. To be honest I don't know if they are from the same parent stock, I thought they were because they came from the same hatch but I don't have any way of knowing.

Hi every one ,
tomorrow is a big day .penning the chosen breeders chooks .they all look good now

the incubator has been switch on today to adjust it self is going to take a day or 2 .

we are going to see some chicks soon .

Misty River Marans 2016 breeding season start tomorrow ,Wednesday October 5th TELL ?

the incubator hold 264 eggs . 3 stray of 88 eggs each .

here how I m going to proceed ;
I ll put 132 eggs every 9 days Rotation ( i ll put 132 fist and wait tell day 9 and i ll put the rest 132 plus I ll replace the infertile one from the first group ).
day 19 i ll move the eggs to the hatcher .
9 days cycle will give me a time to collect more eggs for selection better than every 6 days one tray . I only incubate the best of the best ( not only based on color ,there is other trait I ll take in consideration too)

chooks man

Hi Chooks,
Yeah she is very pretty and has great shape and feathering. To be honest I don't know if they are from the same parent stock, I thought they were because they came from the same hatch but I don't have any way of knowing.

doesn t mean they are related if they come from a same hatch .

they look they are totally from different parent stock .

keep your eyes on her .

chooks man

thread is knowledgeable, I just don't know as much as everyone else so honestly I don't even like to interrupt. I'm just looking for line breeding basics, in steps.

I don't know anything and I'm not just saying that. Everything I know I learned right here and I asked many many questions..... no matter how embarrassing. You can find general chicken genetics on the internet..... charts, articles. Do a search on Amazon for chicken breeding books. Also Google has free ebooks from the early 1900s on chicken breeding..... very interesting.

thread is knowledgeable, I just don't know as much as everyone else so honestly I don't even like to interrupt. I'm just looking for line breeding basics, in steps.

(I don't know if you've visited the first few pages of this thread)

If you have seen the cockerel that I thought was my best, then you saw how little I knew and understood about Marans at first.

It only took 200 pages for me to know the basics and get my head on straight haha, honestly without questions we may never find our answers.

Last edited:
I can't seem to find it now but previously someone asked about their broody Marans.

They were wondering if it is common in the breed... well a couple days ago one of the girls wasn't out free ranging with the flock, we found her on a nest.
I suppose I will give her some better eggs rather than stopping her. I will give her some eggs today and see if she will remain on the nest for 21 more days.

I can't seem to find it now but previously someone asked about their broody Marans.

They were wondering if it is common in the breed... well a couple days ago one of the girls wasn't out free ranging with the flock, we found her on a nest.
I suppose I will give her some better eggs rather than stopping her. I will give her some eggs today and see if she will remain on the nest for 21 more days.

The question was on the Breed focus thread for Marans..... at least I think so. Lucky you..... I want a broody hen. The predators got all of mine.

Last edited:
Quote: Bello's group is 8 months and includes Gabby. Claude and Antonio's group are 7 months. Time for me to get more! I have never been this long without a new bunch coming up.
umm... Don't you mean that you are waiting to set your own eggs?
lol!

The question was on the Breed focus thread for Marans..... at least I think so. Lucky you..... I want a broody hen. The predators got all of mine.

Usually it is my Australorps are the broodies of my groups.

It was quite unexpected for one of the Marans to be making all kinds of racket when I reached under for her eggs lol.

Back
Top Bottom