International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

Hi every one ,
tomorrow is a big day .penning the chosen breeders chooks .they all look good now

the incubator has been switch on today to adjust it self is going to take a day or 2 .

we are going to see some chicks soon .

Misty River Marans 2016 breeding season start tomorrow ,Wednesday October 5th TELL ?

the incubator hold 264 eggs . 3 stray of 88 eggs each .

here how I m going to proceed ;
I ll put 132 eggs every 9 days Rotation ( i ll put 132 fist and wait tell day 9 and i ll put the rest 132 plus I ll replace the infertile one from the first group ).
day 19 i ll move the eggs to the hatcher .
9 days cycle will give me a time to collect more eggs for selection better than every 6 days one tray . I only incubate the best of the best ( not only based on color ,there is other trait I ll take in consideration too)

chooks man

Is the 60 representing your humidity percentage?

What do you run your humidity at during the first 19 days of incubation?

Hi every one ,
tomorrow is a big day .penning the chosen breeders chooks .they all look good now

the incubator has been switch on today to adjust it self is going to take a day or 2 .

we are going to see some chicks soon .

Misty River Marans 2016 breeding season start tomorrow ,Wednesday October 5th TELL ?

the incubator hold 264 eggs . 3 stray of 88 eggs each .

here how I m going to proceed ;
I ll put 132 eggs every 9 days Rotation ( i ll put 132 fist and wait tell day 9 and i ll put the rest 132 plus I ll replace the infertile one from the first group ).
day 19 i ll move the eggs to the hatcher .
9 days cycle will give me a time to collect more eggs for selection better than every 6 days one tray . I only incubate the best of the best ( not only based on color ,there is other trait I ll take in consideration too)

chooks man

Color and ? What is the other trait? A cliff hanger incubation tale!

Hi every one , tomorrow is a big day .penning the chosen breeders chooks .they all look good now the incubator has been switch on today to adjust it self is going to take a day or 2 . we are going to see some chicks soon . Misty River Marans 2016 breeding season start tomorrow ,Wednesday October 5th TELL ? the incubator hold 264 eggs . 3 stray of 88 eggs each . here how I m going to proceed ; I ll put 132 eggs every 9 days Rotation ( i ll put 132 fist and wait tell day 9 and i ll put the rest 132 plus I ll replace the infertile one from the first group ). day 19 i ll move the eggs to the hatcher . 9 days cycle will give me a time to collect more eggs for selection better than every 6 days one tray . I only incubate the best of the best ( not only based on color ,there is other trait I ll take in consideration too) chooks man
Is the 60 representing your humidity percentage? What do you run your humidity at during the first 19 days of incubation?
i believe that 50% is humidity.. Don't know/remember the 60 spot that you are seeing.

Is the 60 representing your humidity percentage?

What do you run your humidity at during the first 19 days of incubation?

Actually the lower number are my setting 37.6 Degree C and 50% humidity .for all the 21 days . the temperature 37.6 DC plus 505 H are the same in both machine the batoe and the hatcher .
I do not increase the humidity during the last 3 days . marans chicks do better at 50% H ,
I keep the the vent close ( hatcher) tell the fist chick hatch ,than i start opening the vent holes to get ready of the extra humidity .I do not let it pass 56% H

the upper number are the actual temperature and humidity . was switch on a few hours before the photos was taken .

Sorry 18 days NOT 19 days I transfer them to the hatcher . So every 9 days I take eggs out of the incubator and I replace them with a new fertile one.

I m trying to group as much chicks hatch on the same time to make it easy for the vaccine .

the Marek Vaccine come in 300 portion .

chooks man

Color and ? What is the other trait? A cliff hanger incubation tale!

Color and weight? Shape also?

That is how I choose.

Eggs that are within the accepted size for the breed, good overall shell quality (that includes shape), nice even color and not too dirty.

i believe that 50% is humidity.. Don't know/remember the 60 spot that you are seeing.

OK OK OK .

Here how I select the eggs for the incubation =

First I work by hen not over all flock ( or basket ).

so now the hens are selected ( no pullets only hens ) and a period of collection of eggs is fixed ( 9 days ) the game is on ;

Eggs are collected during the 9 days period from each hen ,A number . they are are weighted togother and the total is divided by the A number to get the exact weight of the eggs during the period ( not each egg ). I like 65/70 g average
2) I select from this eggs A the best color , the best shape ( oval possible Not long and pointed end ), the best weight 65/70 g, thicker shell , Free from deformity ,
3) this selected egg will be incubated .

this way it is easier to monitor each hens ( for 9 days period ) and i can keep my eyes on the consistency of each hen .I know what going on with my breeding flock .
so if some thing happen I can spot it quick and correct it .

if I spot any hen not performing than I pull it out of the breeding pen and replace it with other hen or a pullet .

all my breeding pens are 4 hens ,1 rooster ( cockerel) = variety breeding
line breeding just a pair . mother and son .

Half of them where penned today .
the rest tomorrow .

need a lot observation when penned for the first time NOT just putting a rooster with some hens in the corner pen .
This is selective breeding .every thing is monitored and recorded .

chooks man

Eggs Col = eggs collected during the 9 days period
eggs Hat = eggs hatched

mortality before Hatching.= what stage the embryo died ? during incubation ? during hatching ? at hatching? etc?
mortality after hatching 24 hours before they leave the hatcher .

chooks man

here my breeding pens ; the pens are names after the hens ,they are the queens owners of the pens . the roosters ,they come and go .

Pen 1 = Silver cuckoo . 4 sisters all F1 = Chelsea , cheese , Cheetah , Channel .
Rooster = Half brother F1 = Chinatown
Goal = to breed the true F2

Pen2 = Birchen all F2 sisters = Oslo , Copenhagen , helseinki , Scany.
Rooster= Vicking F2 brother / half brother
Goal = to breed a true F3 progeny .

Pen3= White storm ( he is only rooster king he own the pen , the hen they come and go .)
Hens = 2 White his sisters/ half sisters = to breed a true white strain and keeping a line pure .
Hens = 2 Birchen carrying the colombian gene = Scandinavia, Stockholm = to breed a F1 Colombian.

Pen4= Black copper Hens 4 = Soumaya. Shakeara . Vicky and her sister Baby Oz both are F3 Birchen carrying a Gold.
Rooster = Big Blue = Blue copper rooster 2and half years old .
Goal to darken the eggs color and adding the hackle to the girls .
from Soumaya I m trying to get cockerels ( she throw good cockerel = Wallace ,Willian all her boys .)

Pen5 = Wheaten 4 hens all mother and her daughters .Margy. Mega, Morry . Madame
Rooster = Morgan = son or Brother/ half brother - I bought them as a complete line
Goal = keeping the line pure .

Pen 6= Blue copper Hen .all ready done

Pen 7 = Splash 2 hens = Sasha . Sahri ,
Rooster = Samir = Brother / son ? from the same line
Goal = to keep them pure and come out of more dominant white .

Pen 8 = Golden Salmon 2 hen = Zina and Zebra '
Rooster = Last simori
Goal = to breed a pure strain .

chooks man

Back
Top Bottom