International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I saved this recipe in with my other gazillion notes from this thread. So the question is.. I have 1 hen and 1 cockerel along with the hatches I'm getting out of them. I am very lucky to have what I do, even if it is a rooster with bad legs and bad comb. Their type is great, coloring is decent. So, with what I have, is there a way I can create 2 separate lines just out of the original pair without bad inbreeding? I don't see how I could, but y'all are wizards so I bring the question to you.

it is hard to say now because it is early . we need to say they progeny first .how they turn up . plus the breeding coefficient will be very high after 3 generation .we can not start a line from just a true sibling we need to add some thing to it before it run into inbreeding depression .
you see when we mate a Father ( sire) Roo to his daughter the breeding coefficient is low because the pullets only share 50% of they genes with they sire the other 50% of they gene is from they mother hen .
when we mate a full sibling . they share a same genes 100% maybe is different combination but still the same that is a problem

we can start with a Roo and his daughters or a Hen with her son .
if it happen they are faultless than we don t need to add any thing to them in the future ,just selective breeding

chooks man

I tried to get a few pictures today...they weren't cooperating lol

IMG_2502.JPG
IMG_2504.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG
IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2509.JPG
IMG_2520.JPG
IMG_2521.JPG

what a stunning BCM pair you got there .
the cockerel is sublime .need some more red on his shoulder and his copper is a little darker not a big deal when you have a cockerel with that body type .
love the type of the pullet and her hackle marking

chooks man

I attempted to video Handsome, but he's not letting me get a front view. He is still missing some tail, and I can see that his tail is angled higher than I'd like. Love his color, he's blue birchen/ blue silver.

I like him a lot .
lovely body type .well short on his feet and chunky . the way they should be
still need to work on to purify the silver .
his tail look good to me not too high

chooks man

what a stunning BCM pair you got there .
the cockerel is sublime .need some more red on his shoulder and his copper is a little darker not a big deal when you have a cockerel with that body type .
love the type of the pullet and her hackle marking

chooks man

Thank you! I wish I could've gotten a picture of the other pullet but I swear, she knows when I have the camera and goes in to hiding lol. She is sister to the pictured pullet. The cockerel is unrelated to the girls :) I can't wait for the girls to start laying so I can see their egg color and hopefully breed some great babies.

Back
Top Bottom