International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

20170928_163612-jpg.1147605

green /yellow feet .

never work with .

chooks man

So there Is no way to correct this?

I am sorry to say, any Marans with yellow soles/skin should be culled. Yellow leg recessive genes will return to haunt you. Marans should have white/pinkish soles and white skin. My first set of Marans from a "breeder" that raised more for egg color and not so much SOP which I came to find out later, the birds I hatched and grew out from them 10-15% came yellow skinned and willow legged. I was advised to cull the whole lot and start over, and so I did.

What you do with your birds is completely up to you. I was new to Marans and followed the advice of Marans breeders I had talked to and come to trust (before I met all you guys on BYC! :D), so I culled and started over with a different line entirely (several actually). You can test mate birds to eliminate yellow leg recessive genes but it can be a lengthy and difficult process as a bird can carry a recessive gene for yellow skin, while showing an outward phenotype for white skin as I have come to understand. Is this correct @Chooks man? Two birds carrying recessive genes for yellow skin, even while showing proper skin/leg color outwardly can pair up to yield a yellow skinned/willow legged throwback. Recessive genes are a pain in the ***.

Chooks man would never recommend culling an entire line and starting over, so he may be able to offer you advice on how to test mate and eliminate the trait. I am actually struggling with recessive genes in one of my lines of Marans.. Vulture hocks, which has been frustrating for me to say the least. My LA line of BCM is throwing about 10% chicks with vulture hocks, and the ones that don't show vulture hocks you can bet your bottom dollar carry the recessive gene for it. It really does make you want to scrap a line and move on, but I won't because the line has some nice qualities otherwise.
:barnie

I am sorry to say, any Marans with yellow soles/skin should be culled. Yellow leg recessive genes will return to haunt you. Marans should have white/pinkish soles and white skin. My first set of Marans from a "breeder" that raised more for egg color and not so much SOP which I came to find out later, the birds I hatched and grew out from them 10-15% came yellow skinned and willow legged. I was advised to cull the whole lot and start over, and so I did.

What you do with your birds is completely up to you. I was new to Marans and followed the advice of Marans breeders I had talked to and come to trust (before I met all you guys on BYC! :D), so I culled and started over with a different line entirely (several actually). You can test mate birds to eliminate yellow leg recessive genes but it can be a lengthy and difficult process as a bird can carry a recessive gene for yellow skin, while showing an outward phenotype for white skin as I have come to understand. Is this correct @Chooks man? Two birds carrying recessive genes for yellow skin, even while showing proper skin/leg color outwardly can pair up to yield a yellow skinned/willow legged throwback. Recessive genes are a pain in the ***.

Chooks man would never recommend culling an entire line and starting over, so he may be able to offer you advice on how to test mate and eliminate the trait. I am actually struggling with recessive genes in one of my lines of Marans.. Vulture hocks, which has been frustrating for me to say the least. My LA line of BCM is throwing about 10% chicks with vulture hocks, and the ones that don't show vulture hocks you can bet your bottom dollar carry the recessive gene for it. It really does make you want to scrap a line and move on, but I won't because the line has some nice qualities otherwise.
:barnie
20170927_174526-jpg.1146945

@LilJoe

why you want to work with a green legged cockerel when you have this guy .

look at his feet .slate colored with a pinkish hint . gorgeous

I really like him a lot

chooks man
I dont know... he moght go?

Back
Top Bottom