International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

That would be awesome.
I guess im hypervigilant after the mess this spring. I just want to get some to laying age. I keep telling myself to chill out and let them grow.

They have their flaws, but they are flaws i can easily breed out with my other line. But the vulture hocks i wont even try.

Thank you for giving me hope.

Vulture hocks are easily bred out . every thing can be bred in or out . difference is how much time and how many generations are needed to fix any problem .

chooks man

Howdy. I would never be able to raise show birds, however I would like some knowledge. Concerning vulture hocks, is it because of the feathers, or shanks or a combo or something else? I have 13 FBCMs that I got as day old chicks. As they aged, I noticed that 2 of the roos had what I called T-rex legs. I knew nothing about vulture hocks but that must be them. I have 7 roos and 6 pullets. They are 3 and a half months old now. Thanks.

photos please .and don t panic if your marans show any sort of faults .stay calm .all things are workable .

chooks man

Bev Davis. Not sure what the common faults with that line are.

The young woman who has the parents of these birds bought them straight from there a few years ago. She has about 10. They are the only birds she has and i visited with them when i picked up the hatching eggs.

The funny thing is, i was worried about fertility when i saw the rooster. To my untrained eyes at the time, i thought he was just too stout mount the hens.

Of course i know better now.

They have great mass and type.
The flaws i see in these particular birds so far are
awful combs,
overfeathered shanks/feet,
mottled/brown eye color in the hens.

There are a lot of quality breeders that have Bev Davis foundation blood. I have not heard of her line having vulture hocks. I really think you’re dealing with loose feathers on juvenile birds. You will know for sure by 6 months old.

Keith

Bev Davis. Not sure what the common faults with that line are.

The young woman who has the parents of these birds bought them straight from there a few years ago. She has about 10. They are the only birds she has and i visited with them when i picked up the hatching eggs.

The funny thing is, i was worried about fertility when i saw the rooster. To my untrained eyes at the time, i thought he was just too stout mount the hens.

Of course i know better now.

They have great mass and type.
The flaws i see in these particular birds so far are
awful combs,
overfeathered shanks/feet,
mottled/brown eye color in the hens.

good thing is ,you picked the eggs your self and you managed to see the breeders parent stock.
you seem to know what are they qualities and faults .good stuff .this information will help you in the future .

all is fixable .
chooks man

Thanks everyone.
From all my studying on here, the general concensus was parasitic white and vulture hocks are 2 of the worst faults to deal with or breed out genetically speaking.

I was thinking.....i dont know what i was thinking. Cull em all i guess.

Good to know line #2 can help correct this.

Still keeping an open mind that it is just a ton of overfeathering and not vulture hocks. Thank you chooks man. Thank you all that responded.

photos please .and don t panic if your marans show any sort of faults .stay calm .all things are workable .

Three and a half months.

maran.jpg

Back
Top Bottom