International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

IMG_20210520_132641037.jpg
16215389938936451458225571971877.jpg
16215390264897174208677487768962.jpg
16215390738912500502291837960193.jpg
1621539128811244918864400823684.jpg

I'm torn with this high tailed hen. I live everything else about her but her high tail( and parasitic white).

very very high tail plus parasitic white ,do you really need to breed her ?
the comb and hackle are her best asset .
chooks man
That's why I'm torn. That front half of her is picture perfect, but the tail and parasitic white are such problems to deal with. If I ever get smaller pens, I want to put her with a low tailed boy but I'm not sure if worth it, but that head! She is so voluptuous too. Big and beefy, almost fluffy

Breeding pens are done for the year unless I get a commission for eggs. The last hatch is June 4 and then done until next winter, so everyone gets to free range until December to recoup and take some well deserved time off. I'm starting to watch a few grow out pullets for consideration but they are a long ways from being ready.

That's why I'm torn. That front half of her is picture perfect, but the tail and parasitic white are such problems to deal with. If I ever get smaller pens, I want to put her with a low tailed boy but I'm not sure if worth it, but that head! She is so voluptuous too. Big and beefy, almost fluffy

if only I was close to you I wouldn't mind her faults. you have good birds so you don't need to go downwards. I think she is good enough for someone who wants to start to breed birchen marans.

this guy is not keeper .carry too much Melanin . not good to breed with .
chooks man
I have a question.

This cockerel is over melanised. Does this also mean he would be less sensitive to parasitic white? Is there a better chance of him growing out and not getting white underfluff?

If I breed him to a well colored hen with complete hackles, would it be an improvement or am I just setting myself backwards and making more work for myself.

I have a question.

This cockerel is over melanised. Does this also mean he would be less sensitive to parasitic white? Is there a better chance of him growing out and not getting white underfluff?

If I breed him to a well colored hen with complete hackles, would it be an improvement or am I just setting myself backwards and making more work for myself.

I don't think parasitic white has to do with melanine.

if you didn't have good cockerels if would take you some time to breed the dark guy with the overcoloured hens. why would you do that?

if you have a black hen you can start a solid black flock with them.

Back
Top Bottom