International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

These two, one pic each, are of idiots boys. they are 6 months old and I am not liking them at all. What I want to ask is what is up with the weird coloration mid back?

View attachment 2898120
View attachment 2898121

does look like bleaching , some thing caused it , nothing to worry about ..
love his rich copper and wide shoulder by the way .
I like Idiot progeny but I don t like his name .
chooks man

I have had a hard time getting any Blue Silver that have redeeming qualities. The Black Silvers are doing very well. I am about to go through and cull out the black silver cockerels and make my next selection for breeders this year. Yes, this blue silver has a lot of parasitic white, but every other blue silver I have bred tends to have straw or copper bleedthrough on the wing bows. This one has the purest silver for the blue silvers. I need to make a pen for just him and the blue girls, while perhaps cycling in some of the more perfect girls in occasionally to try and improve these blues, of which it has been a hair pulling time improving them specifically. Jean here has also hit the 2 year old mark. I am still keeping more of the black silver birds over the blue silver, and am having much better luck with the black silver group.
I will have to include some picks for this year's cockerels, I have had a few standouts. It has been a lot of working with them, seen a lot of good and bad in 8 years. This thread has helped me be a better picker in deciding what is worth working with and why I might want to cull one over another.
that alright than ,you love your blues ,nothing wrong with that . let breed them properly .
you have some stunning and correct Silver Black pullets . if you want to improve your silver Blue rooster than mate him to you best 2 silver Black hens/pullets . that will correct some of his progeny . select the best Blues and repeat .
Never breed Blue to Blue . Blue to a Black is a correct way .
Blue with Blue will produce lighter under fluff . Straw copper { BCM} different shade of light blue . does not produce great lacing .
looking forward to see photos of the young cockerels .cheers .
chooks man

he has stunning body type. stunning copper 'full pattern ,stunning tail .but that comb is very very bad .
here how to work with him . hatch from him 12 or more chicks first than get ready of him . this way you will keep some of his great trait in you flock to work with .
his body type must be bred into your flock in a separate { work } line .

he will breed with 2 hens you have . the dark ones .
chooks man

Here is King.... he's our accidental. So of course he has to be the wife's favorite.View attachment 2823838
this one is better to work with . not as impressive as Kong but with less problems .
mate him to your hen with a floppy comb . that will give you 2nd line to work with .
one line from Kong X 2 dark pullets .
one line from King X floppy comb .
you need to hatch 12 or more for this method of breeding to work .
chooks man

These two, one pic each, are of idiots boys. they are 6 months old and I am not liking them at all. What I want to ask is what is up with the weird coloration mid back?

View attachment 2898120
View attachment 2898121
I'm with you on his name. So I'm pro-idiot...lol
You could name the 2 boys, Dumb and Dumber. 😉

We had a meat bird cockerel that was just plain mean all the time. His name was @zzhole. It fit perfectly.

what happen to all your gorgeous marans ?
this young look good .
chooks man
Glad to have you back Chooksman and all is well. You where well missed. After all the trees come down. We had no place to put the wood. We ended up having to put wood in the largest pen. We covered it. But the one rooster hurt his leg jumping down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom