International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

How old is she?
If she is under 1 year, it usually does molt out.

White on the feet could be from injury in my experience.
Although it should molt out with the rest.

A lot of white on the face as a chick can indicate they are sensitive to parasitic white as an adult which will express in cockerels as they reach adulthood.

Someone correct me if I am wrong... :)
You are alright.
Chooks man

6471ECBA-DD7D-4819-9F26-C43FBD1EE5EB.jpeg

Afternoon feeding 2 hours before they go to roost .
I feed them early morning when I let them out as well.
Feed them twice a day.
Chooks man

7-8 months old. Always had white tips on the foot feathers since she was a chick
I would not worry about white on feet as chicks.
That is common. I find it is just hatch down color.

If there is too much white on the face at hatch, that is a cull for me if at all possible. Or at least document this in my notebook for that particular chick.

BUT, we work with what we have.
In the beginning, grow them out and see what they become. Get to know your line first before making a decision.

I am wondering if some people would mind giving me some feedback on my BCM roo, Goliath. He is almost 3 years old. He did have a small amount of feathering on his legs, but I notice in my picture that he doesn't have any right now. I am trying to learn more about Marans. I am really enjoying having a few of them and would like to have more, but I want to make sure to improve the next generations. I find basic info, but so far, not a lot of detailed info. Suggestions on good sources for information would be appreciated as well. USA Thanks!
341905700_1420105325455590_8898082467738003246_n.jpg

I am wondering if some people would mind giving me some feedback on my BCM roo, Goliath. He is almost 3 years old. He did have a small amount of feathering on his legs, but I notice in my picture that he doesn't have any right now. I am trying to learn more about Marans. I am really enjoying having a few of them and would like to have more, but I want to make sure to improve the next generations. I find basic info, but so far, not a lot of detailed info. Suggestions on good sources for information would be appreciated as well. USA Thanks!
Usually @Chooks man gives the best advice but I’m gonna give it a go to see how much I’ve learnt.
First thing: the copper is far too dark, not really copper more mahogany like a RIR.
Comb is very beefy and not very tidy, also only had four spikes rather than 5-7 like the standard asks for.
Tail isn’t too big but held too high, like a squirrel (my cockerel does this).
Body type is too short and triangular, Marans should have a long, deep, rectangular body. He looks quite heavy set, just needs to be longer.
Copper should end at the neck, which a few dashes on the breast, but this one has copper all down it’s breast. Even it’s wing coverts seem to be red instead of black.
Legs, depending on the standard, should be more feathered , but at least they’re pink with slate grey scutes.

That’s all I can think of, overall not great but we work with what we have, I’ve just stared breeding marans and my boy isn’t perfect either. Wait for Chooks man for the professional advice. How dark was the egg he’s from (if you know), or if you have his siblings, what colour eggs do they lay?

Feel free to ask for pictures to see what I mean for for any clarification.

Usually @Chooks man gives the best advice but I’m gonna give it a go to see how much I’ve learnt.
First thing: the copper is far too dark, not really copper more mahogany like a RIR.
Comb is very beefy and not very tidy, also only had four spikes rather than 5-7 like the standard asks for.
Tail isn’t too big but held too high, like a squirrel (my cockerel does this).
Body type is too short and triangular, Marans should have a long, deep, rectangular body. He looks quite heavy set, just needs to be longer.
Copper should end at the neck, which a few dashes on the breast, but this one has copper all down it’s breast. Even it’s wing coverts seem to be red instead of black.
Legs, depending on the standard, should be more feathered , but at least they’re pink with slate grey scutes.

That’s all I can think of, overall not great but we work with what we have, I’ve just stared breeding marans and my boy isn’t perfect either. Wait for Chooks man for the professional advice. How dark was the egg he’s from (if you know), or if you have his siblings, what colour eggs do they lay?

Feel free to ask for pictures to see what I mean for for any clarification.
Agree with you he has too many majore faults . You need to breed him to a black hens to reduce the amount of copper.
I don t think is worth it to breed from him he will produce more culls than good ones.
Chooks man

Can you post photos of the hens you want to breed him to please. Maybe they are compatible .
Chooks man

I for one love his color. I'm no expert and we do work with what we have. Everything you might want to know is right here in this thread. It's a read lol but @Chooks man has been very thorough and willing to share his expert vast knowledge with us along our journey. Everyone here is super friendly and helpful.

I for one love his color. I'm no expert and we do work with what we have. Everything you might want to know is right here in this thread. It's a read lol but @Chooks man has been very thorough and willing to share his expert vast knowledge with us along our journey. Everyone here is super friendly and helpful.
‘The red markings are not to be yellow or mahogany’

That is copied from the Official French Standard. I’d say this bird is definitely mahogany, so while it may look nice it’s a fault.

2C36047F-8097-4F64-B2ED-069B428A6D84.png

(A chart for shades of Mahogany)

But like you said, you can only work with what you have. He was dealt a poor hand of genetics but obviously the hens make a difference, maybe some features can be balanced out. Breeding livestock is part luck, but also a lot of hard work.

Although, like Chooks man said, his offspring may have too many culls to be worth the time, it all depends on how much work you can put in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom