International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

I for one love his color. I'm no expert and we do work with what we have. Everything you might want to know is right here in this thread. It's a read lol but @Chooks man has been very thorough and willing to share his expert vast knowledge with us along our journey. Everyone here is super friendly and helpful.
Agree 100%
Start from page #1.
It's all here.

Usually @Chooks man gives the best advice but I’m gonna give it a go to see how much I’ve learnt.
First thing: the copper is far too dark, not really copper more mahogany like a RIR.
Comb is very beefy and not very tidy, also only had four spikes rather than 5-7 like the standard asks for.
Tail isn’t too big but held too high, like a squirrel (my cockerel does this).
Body type is too short and triangular, Marans should have a long, deep, rectangular body. He looks quite heavy set, just needs to be longer.
Copper should end at the neck, which a few dashes on the breast, but this one has copper all down it’s breast. Even it’s wing coverts seem to be red instead of black.
Legs, depending on the standard, should be more feathered , but at least they’re pink with slate grey scutes.

That’s all I can think of, overall not great but we work with what we have, I’ve just stared breeding marans and my boy isn’t perfect either. Wait for Chooks man for the professional advice. How dark was the egg he’s from (if you know), or if you have his siblings, what colour eggs do they lay?

Feel free to ask for pictures to see what I mean for for any clarification.
Thank you all for your thoughts and replies. I have been slowly reading through the 2000+ pages here. I think I will just keep this guy for my egg birds. He is so sweet and a good protector for his hens. I have no idea what egg he came from. I got him from a local person, late in the fall when we lost our previous roo (SL Wyandotte) in a fox attack. We weren't thinking of breeding for chicks, but we are really enjoying this breed and IF we decide to sell chicks, we'd like to be sure to perpetuate good stock.

So the next question is - do you have any recommendations for good, knowledgeable breeders for good breeding stock??

I started with 18 cockerels and now have 10.
Getting ready to do another cull.

I brought in a low tailed cockerel a couple of years ago and see better tail angle on some but still have a little more than 1/2 with high tails.

Culling hard for this.

Random cockerel pics. No particular order, just took them if he would pose for me.
There may be a couple of the same cockerel.
20230502_123758.jpg

20230502_123747.jpg
20230502_123708.jpg
20230502_123702.jpg
20230502_123655.jpg
20230502_123635.jpg
20230502_123625.jpg
20230502_123619.jpg
20230502_123511.jpg
20230502_123447.jpg
20230502_123447.jpg
20230502_123437.jpg
20230502_123424.jpg

Thank you all for your thoughts and replies. I have been slowly reading through the 2000+ pages here. I think I will just keep this guy for my egg birds. He is so sweet and a good protector for his hens. I have no idea what egg he came from. I got him from a local person, late in the fall when we lost our previous roo (SL Wyandotte) in a fox attack. We weren't thinking of breeding for chicks, but we are really enjoying this breed and IF we decide to sell chicks, we'd like to be sure to perpetuate good stock.

So the next question is - do you have any recommendations for good, knowledgeable breeders for good breeding stock??
Do you live by @Punkybrewster ?? 😉

Where are you located?

They are some stunning looking cockerels in there . You have great job .
I ll comment on them later this evening when I m home. .
I m confident we will have few very nice and correct cockerels to work with next year.
Chooks man

Back
Top Bottom