Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
So far, so good. She's breathing and that's about all I can tell you. No bleeding. I have her nestled in a cup. She's in the incubator nice and moist and slippery from coconut oil. If she doesn't make it, it won't be for a lack of trying. You know they say it takes a village to raise a child? Well apparently it takes people from all walks of life to save a baby duck! I'm very humbled and grateful for everyone's advice and concern for this little one. Thanks again ya'll!
2764.png

Breathing is a ton better than not breathing, eh?? :fl

Maybe those that oppose should just share a byc link to threads that say you shouldn't intervene when people ask for help on this thread? This thread was written as a help when people felt they had no options, it's an option that can be chosen and has helped save many birds, but it's not the final authority for every situation-there are too many variables.

I don't think anyone in here is opposed to intervention; I know I'm not. In fact I'm helping someone else with another assisted hatch right now :) But it is possible to make mistakes and do things like get overzealous and open an egg too early. No one should be berated for that, but the mistake should be pointed out so that the person can learn from it and not repeat the mistake in the future. The intent is to help people learn, not make them feel bad or to say intervention is wrong. If we don't know we made mistakes we can never learn from them.

Believe me, I'm always intervening and helping, and I've definitely made mistakes and they were pointed out to me and I learned from them so I improved for the next time. Do you know why I know what to do for this duckling? It's because I did the exact same thing once. But I learned from my mistake and I won't do it again, and now I know how to fix it when it happens to others.

Last edited:
I don't fault anyone for assisting, except myself when I do it too soon....or too late! "If" is the easy part for me, I am going to help if I think they need it. I hatch seramas, and they need help often. It's the "when" that is tricky! So educating first-timers can be tricky also.

C'mon little duckling. Hang in there!

How's the little one doing?

She's hanging tough. I'm keeping her head out of the shell because I'm worried she might suffocate on the coconut oil I coated her membranes and yolk sac in. Other than that it's just a watch and wait. On a happier note I went out to the duck house and checked on mama and the eggs and one had pipped, so that's good. I want her to have at least one baby. She has been a diligent sitter. Except for that one crushed egg incident
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
she's been a great first time mama. Even daddy duck has been staying close. Like he knows he's about to have to pass out cigars lol.

She's hanging tough. I'm keeping her head out of the shell because I'm worried she might suffocate on the coconut oil I coated her membranes and yolk sac in. Other than that it's just a watch and wait. On a happier note I went out to the duck house and checked on mama and the eggs and one had pipped, so that's good. I want her to have at least one baby. She has been a diligent sitter. Except for that one crushed egg incident
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
1f62c.png
she's been a great first time mama. Even daddy duck has been staying close. Like he knows he's about to have to pass out cigars lol.

Coconut oil is amazing, I use it on my Call ducks when they need assistance... it may go brown and dryish, but it won't contract... you're doing fine... :fl

1f62c.png
1f62c.png
1f62c.png

I want a cigar! :weee

It's getting to be bedtime here. I am going to try and not open that incubator top anymore tonight! With her in the cup it's hard to see her thru my window lol. She is still peeping and squirming and BREATHING, which right now is my biggest concern. She's lubed up, nice and warm and moisty so I'm going to bed tonight hoping she'll make it thru. I have a question before I turn in...how will I know that she's absorbed all of the yolk? What if she doesn't? Then what should I do? How long do I wait before I know when to do something? Ok I know it was more than one question, but I am a newbie
1f644.png
1f914.png

Back
Top Bottom