Intervention: Helping Your Chicks Hatch

Pics
Hi everyone I've been running all day, but baby duck is still in her cup/egg nest she looks very comfy and she is peeping occasionally and she's still swallowing like she absorbing her yolk. I'm just going to leave her to it. Mama duck hatched her very first hatchling today!!! Her baby is so perfect and cute. No crest tho. I hope some of them get it since dad has it. Quick question...this baby has some coconut oil on her feathers because I put some in and around her shell. How should I get that off and when should I? I know after she's up and around, but like right after, or should I wait? Will mom duck preen it away, or no? I'll update when I have more news!

Glad baby is doing well! Don't worry about the coconut oil, they'll clean themselves off just fine and it won't hurt them...

Go mama duck!!! :ya

Last edited:
Hi All
She is doing well and getting antsy. I think she wants out of her cup, but she's not jumping around too much, so I guess I wait until she's really struggling? Also I have a delimma!
We have had weather in the high 70's and lows in the 50' and Mother Nature has decided to drop our temps dramatically with the chance of snow and ice! My ducks are in a protected house but the coop it self has no doors to close. Should I put up make shift doors, should I move them into the garage? The house? I can do either. I have duck diapers for mom so it won't be a problem. I don't want those babies to freeze! Also she's still got eggs to hatch. I could put them in my bator if I need to, or should I move nest and all into the house or garage. Remember she is a first time mommy, but she's a good one. Do I just leave them be? I'm so stressed! Who knew winter was coming back with a vengeance! Ugh
1f611.png

Mom is the incubator, leave her be
If it get really windy you could put up a windbreak but I would leave her be

Mom rejected her, so she will be a house ducky until she's big enough to hold her own. Thank goodness I have all of doodles diapers!

ya.gif
So glad to see that she is doing well!!

And momma duck still may take her, after a few more of the other ducklings hatch. Give it a couple tries, with caution of course.

How's the belly area look? All absorbed??

:ya   So glad to see that she is doing well!! 

And momma duck still may take her, after a few more of the other ducklings hatch.  Give it a couple tries, with caution of course. 

How's the belly area look?  All absorbed??

There's a umbilical cord stringy thing but that's all. I figured she'd rub that off when she started walking around. The egg was empty.

Back
Top Bottom