is it actually safe to eat an egg that quit?

Well we eat full grown chickens and eggs... Why not in between? Its not really any different lol
You have a point about decay
And then you never know if the chick died because of infection

Infection, exfection, what's the difference? I seem to remember that over 100 years ago the last Russian Czar served up a banquet of roast Mastodon to the crown heads of Europe.

Hunger, or curiosity... I'm the curious type, so I eat lots of odd things.

I can see both sides. Yes we eat raw eggs, and whole chickens and ducks (not to mention all the other animals). We also eat alot raw, cooked, half cooked other things. The boiling and steaming does seem like it could kill any bacteria, but it would have to be done to the right temps.

Having said that, it's still too weird for me to even consider putting near my mouth! And still seems so wrong. But I guess that's just because its not as common.

So give it a try and let us know what you think.

Food poisoning is not just about ingesting bacteria that can make you sick, but it's also about the toxins produced by the bacteria that can make you sick. Cooking is not going to remove those toxins. I seriously hope that no one takes anyone seriously when they suggest that you could safely eat an egg that had died during incubation.

Food poisoning is not just about ingesting bacteria that can make you sick, but it's also about the toxins produced by the bacteria that can make you sick.  Cooking is not going to remove those toxins.  I seriously hope that no one takes anyone seriously when they suggest that you could safely eat an egg that had died during incubation.

That's a good point I hadn't thought of. What killed it? We don't know, so I'll have to agree with that being bad. I try to be open to weird stuff that I know nothing about, weighing both sides. I know I wouldn't do it, no way, but I was trying to understand how someone else might. Its the fear of the unknown that would keep me from it anyway.

Not really sure if its safe but I'd like to add, personally I really like eating balut, and honestly, it just taste like egg yolk, but completely different texture. We eat it with salt and pepper.

Things haven't changed much since the last time Balut came up on BYC.....I still need an Alka Seltzer,just like last time. <sigh>
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom