Is it legal to shoot a dog on my property if they kill my chickens?

Smokin Silkies

formerly browneyebuttafly
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Western, PA
2 of the neighbors dogs are always coming in my yard. We had chickens before and the dogs chased them and I believe killed some of them, although I didn't see it happen. I had asked the owners repeatedly to keep there dogs in their own yard. I live on about 5 acres and I like to let my chickens free range. They were all eventually killed. I now have week old chicks that I will be keeping in an enclosed run because of these dogs. If these dogs come on my property and try to enter the run and kill my chickens, can I shoot them? I would hate to do that, but I will not let them kill my chickens either. The cops don't do crap around here, they don't want to be bothered by anybody with anything. So calling them about the dogs is pointless. Is it legal to shoot the dogs if it came down to it? I live in Pa if that matters any? Thanks!

It's legal where I live too. You need to check your local ordinances both for dogs at large, and for shooting trespassing dogs.

I've never heard of a rural place that allowed livestock but that NOT allowed you to protect your livestock by shooting dogs runnning at large, but you need to check your ordinances.

I'd call the Sheriff's office and ask. Animal Control doesn't service our area where we live, so the Sheriff told me to shoot maurading dogs on my property.

You can try looking it up here too:
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/

Last edited:
http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/stuspa3ps459_502.htm#s501

3 P. S. § 459-502

§ 459-501. Killing dogs; dogs as nuisances

(a) Legal to kill certain dogs.--Any person may kill any dog which he sees in the act of pursuing or wounding or killing any domestic animal, wounding or killing other dogs, cats or household pets, or pursuing, wounding or attacking human beings, whether or not such a dog bears the license tag required by the provisions of this act. There shall be no liability on such persons in damages or otherwise for such killing.

(b) Private nuisance.--Any dog that enters any field or enclosure where domestic animals are confined, provided that the enclosure is adequate for the purpose intended, shall constitute a private nuisance, and the owner or tenant of such field, or their agent or servant, may detain such dog and turn it over to the local police authority or State dog warden or employee of the department. While so detained, the dog shall be treated in a humane manner.

ETA: Great minds Google alike!​

Last edited:
I do have a good dog, but from what I read on the previous links is that if my dog attacks another dog or person, even on my property I can get in trouble. They can put down my dog for that. The only way I wouldn't get in trouble is if my dog is in a secured fence, or chained up when the attack happens. I don't have my land fenced in, and I don't chain up my dog. Also, if he was chained, he wouldn't be able to go after the 'predator'. I don't want my dog to be put down or hurt if I can protect him too. I will feel bad if I had to shoot another dog, but when it comes down to any of my pets, I would shoot the predator in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Get a good dog and you won't.

I wouldnt get a dog to just put it at risk of attack from these roaming dogs.

Are they human agressive? Can you catch them and bring them to a shelter?

Quote:
Well, I seriously doubt that's true in the case of attacking other dogs. People, it would depend on the circumstances.

I know some states have weird laws, but that seems a significant stretch to me. Their dog trespasses on your property, is a threat to your livestock, and your dog will be put down if he defends against it? Don't make sense. I'd check with my local animal control people rather than take the word of anonymous Internet sources.

Now, if you are afraid your dog would leave your property and attack people and pets, that's a different story. In that case, I wouldn't use that dog to protect my stock. I'd get and train one more suited to it.

Back
Top Bottom