Is it legal to shoot a dog on my property if they kill my chickens?

I don't believe they are human agressive but not really sure. They usually stay in there own yard across the street, and I can see the house from my house. They have been in our yard while we were out there and never growled at us. I just yell at them and they run back home. I did catch them chasing my chickens before and no matter how loud I yelled they kept chasing them. I even ran out in the yard after them. They eventually left after the owner called them for a good 5 minutes or so. I don't know if I can catch them or not, never tried. They leave the dogs outside 24-7, even when nobodys home.

Quote:
Hey that works for me!
thumbsup.gif

The ordinances posted above are for DOMESTIC animals. Make sure the local ordinances define your chickens as domestic. If they are defined as livestock, check the ordinances for that. I expect that if they are considered livestock the rules are even more in you favor.

Swamp

Quote:
The definition from the statute:

“Domestic animal.” Any equine animal or bovine animal, sheep, goat, pig, poultry, bird, fowl, confined hares, rabbits and mink, or any wild or semiwild animal maintained in captivity.

So chickens are domestic.​

Quote:
Get a good dog and you won't.

I wouldnt get a dog to just put it at risk of attack from these roaming dogs.

It wouldn't be to put it at risk of attack. It would be to protect the flock, obviously. In addition to protecting it from these dogs, it would also be protected from other predators.

ETA:
Try this...

http://www.lgd.org/

Last edited:
I do not know where you live, but here in rural WI everyone round here knows if there is a dog running on your property for any reason ,chaseing deer,eating garbage,killing chickens whatever, It's shoot first ask question later.that said I have never shot a dog but wild cats yes .

Quote:
I understand your concerns because I'm very protective of my dogs too. That's another reason to SSS, especially since maurading dogs bring their maurading diseases to your property. My dogs come first over neighbors wandering dogs. Plus, my dogs are in/out dogs so when my neighbors would let their dogs roam, the dogs would end up here if my dogs happened to not be outside. So getting a dog to protect your chickens would work better if the dog would be out there with them all the time. But it would certainly deter any predators just to have them around.

I find it a bit hard to believe about what you read, I'd call your Sheriff and ask because many people have dogs for protection of self, home and property. Can you point specifically as to what you read on previous links? If you dog bites the water meter reader or the electric meter reader, mailmain, UPS guy, or someone who actually has a reason to be on your property, then yes, you can get in trouble. But trespassers don't fall in that category, and other people's mauranding dogs certainly don't apply either. Your dog has the right to be a dog on your own property without you worrying about him biting someone or something up to no good who has no reason to be there in the first place...

And are you SURE you're not just listening to be people with big mouths? Because my neighbors think they have the right to have their animals all over the place and have told me that you can't just go shooting other people's animals, and you can't have your dog just run someone off, yadda yadda, but when I called the Sheriff, he chuckled about all of her "laws".
hu.gif

My dog wouldn't stand a chance with those dogs. He's a boxer/lab mix and these other dogs are 2 huskies, and one other big dog. So its 3 against him and he's not a fighter. I wouldn't put him at risk against those 3 dogs. I'd shoot them first.

Back
Top Bottom