Is it legal to shoot a dog on my property if they kill my chickens?

Generally, YES.

'Im not going to launch into a long discourse on the legality of it; there are enough legal eagles here to muddy those waters.

But usually, where dogs are actively molesting livestock, you have the right to dispatch the dog as long as you do it safely.

But check your local codes, laws and mandates to be sure. Contact the law enforcement agency which has jurisdiction in your district and ask.
I also suggest you get the errant hound on tape, in the act.

Last edited:
Quote:
The definition from the statute:

“Domestic animal.” Any equine animal or bovine animal, sheep, goat, pig, poultry, bird, fowl, confined hares, rabbits and mink, or any wild or semiwild animal maintained in captivity.

So chickens are domestic.​

Thanks for the clarification. That part was not quoted in the post (with the statute)

Swamp

wink.png
a good neighbor would handle the situation themself, after telling them 1 time i would do what is needed to protect my family;)

It's definitely legal where we live.
Our favorite Mottled Cochin Bantam, Peep, disappeared coincidentally on one of the very very rare days when a neighbor's dog was on our property. (We didn't actually see the hound get the chick.) I called the neighbor and explained simply that if I saw the dog on our property again "it wouldn't be pleasant." The neighbor got the message and the dog has never been back. (This was like five years ago.)

Last edited:
Quote:
well.. you have warned him. Catch or shoot the dogs. I would, in a heart beat. Good luck.
hugs.gif

THIS - 100%. These dogs are NOT "beloved house pets". They are obviously not kept as "beloved house pets" because if the owners cared AT ALL about the dogs they would fence them in. I can't believe after killing the Jack Russell these dogs were not put down!
somad.gif

Catch or shoot - how would you catch them? If they are so vicious, I would NOT approach them. Do what you feel comfortable with, if you think you could catch them, go for it. But if they scare you at all, don't even attempt it! Alternative - our Animal Control has large dog traps that they will set on your property. If you could catch them in one of these and send them to the pound, that would work, but your neighbor would probably see you trapping his dogs and get upset, escalating the situation.
barnie.gif

So the alternative? Be READY TO SHOOT. You need to keep a loaded gun handy, and if those dogs are on your property harassing your chickens at all, get rid of the problem permanently. At least until the stupid neighbor gets more dogs that he doesn't control...
rant.gif

Quote:
S S S Shoot Shovel Shut-up

If you advertise/brag/mention that you shot a dog inetiviably you will get into trouble.. someone somehow will get you..

just do it and keep it quiet......

Yes it is legal! You R required 2 do it humanely, i.e., quickly & efficiently. You must finish the job & dispose of the carcass. Can't B left out for the buzzards.

a good dog thats meant to protect isn't at risk, they can dispatch most stray dogs in a matter of seconds, its as easy as it is for them as it is for a dog killing chickens. Will take my dog about a couple of minutes to kill another large dog. Usually it wont take that long to get the point across the other dog will bolt and run in terror if i call the dog off. A good dog will be able to handle a group of strays also easy because the dog acts like a predator and puts the fear of god into the ring leader of the pack so the other dogs are way to scared at that point to stick up for their leader. It has been my personal experience a great pry or akbash just do not have it in them to do this. I have never met one good at this. MY CO is good at it. My FILA was good at it. My imported czech shepherd ***** is even very good at it. Just takes a real dog that knows how to use their jaws to fullest extant. My czech shepherd was able to handle a pack of foxhounds that strayed from the owner alone that tried to kill my goose. They ran off into the woods bloody and bruised screaming with holes all over them.

Dogs reg run of the mill dogs usually will back down or get scared when faced with something that is out for blood after their throat. Very few dogs are bred or experienced at killing large canines. CO and Filas just seem gifted at it even as pups by their reaction to other dogs or coyotes they are just very civil and dangerous.

having thick skin is a big help, dogs like dobies aren't good ideas they are too thin skinned, a komador and co have very thick skin.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom