Is it okay for chickens and a cat to share food/water?

Riggs H

Hatching
May 5, 2024
Hello there, I am a new member. I have a outdoor Cat, and two Roosters. (I'll have to share their story another time)
My Roosters and Cat swap food and water. The roosters will come up on the porch, and eat and drink any food and water out of the Cat's bowls, then the Cat (even if he has water in his bowl) will go and drink water out of the Rooster's waterer. I doesn't really bother me, and the Cat does not care either, but could the Cat catch diseases from the roosters, and vice versa?
Thank you!

Occasionally, pilfering each others food is not going to be a problem. It's not going to be a disease vector any more than simply being on the same soil would be.

But cats and birds have completely different dietary needs that makes it necessary for the roosters to have their own food and the cat his. If the roosters were to eat nothing but cat food, they would soon have serious renal injury. The cat would soon be sick from protein deficiency.

So, the solution would be to feed each species separately once or twice a day, and the rest of the day don't worry about them filching each others food.

Back
Top Bottom