Is Medicated Starter Feed Being Discontinued from Being Sold Through Feed Stores?

Thanks Junebug. So the TSC manager wasn't just blowing smoke. I hope Purina can use its clout to get TSC to reconsider. Appreciate the quick reply.
Hi, just trying to clear up this misinformation. Medicated chick feeder is not affected by the FDA's (not TSC's) changes to requirements.Your Purina medicated feed is still available in every store. If you want correct info on VFD changes and the kinds of items affected (water soluble antibiotics), you can check out www.TractorSupply.com/VFD

All you need to do if you want to supply amprolium protection to new baby chicks in lieu of medicated starter is to mix Corid into their drinking water at the preventative dose as it specifies on the label. Or is TSC suspending the sale of Corid, too?

If so, you can probably find it online.
Corid is NOT affected by the FDA's VFD changes and neither is medicated chick feed.
The ONLY poultry feed affected is one by Manna Pro.

Exactly - the "medicated" label is being taken entirely out of context - something I am not surprised when I see coming from someone unfamiliar with feed (such as a new poultry enthusiast), but disconcerting to say the least when coming from a corporation who should have SOMEONE on their staff who understand this very basic concept.....

X 2 - either source feed through other channels or substitute provision of preventative coccidiostat through other means.
Hi, just clearing up this misinformation -- medicated chick feed is not being removed from any stores. The FDA's Veterinary Feed Directive changes only affected certain water-soluble antibiotics, which does not include those in poultry feed. It sounds like this store manager was just totally incorrect.

Hi aart,

West-central Georgia here. (I should probably update my profile info.) To give you some idea of the topography, think AMC's The Walking Dead which is filmed in my area. So far no confirmed sightings of zombie chickens bumbling along my fence rows, but I'm keeping my good eye wide open just in case.

Hi aart,

West-central Georgia here. (I should probably update my profile info.) To give you some idea of the topography, think AMC's The Walking Dead which is filmed in my area. So far no confirmed sightings of zombie chickens bumbling along my fence rows, but I'm keeping my good eye wide open just in case.
Ah, yes, the south can have very different parasite issues than here in the frozen north.

Hi, just trying to clear up this misinformation. Medicated chick feeder is not affected by the FDA's (not TSC's) changes to requirements.Your Purina medicated feed is still available in every store. If you want correct info on VFD changes and the kinds of items affected (water soluble antibiotics), you can check out www.TractorSupply.com/VFD
Hey clover,

Please feel free to contact the TSC located in Carrollton, Carroll County, GA, and/or the TSC located in the next county over (Douglas) in Douglasville, GA. My starter feed of choice, Purina Premium Start & Grow Medicated Poultry Feed has been pulled from the shelves. The Carrollton store actually sold their remaining stock and will not be re-ordering. The Douglasville store sent their stock of medicated feeds (including my brand of choice) back to the respective manufacturers. I inquired directly from the Carrollton store, and my wife inquired directly at the Douglasville store. Please report back if they tell you any different. Curious minds would love to know.

BTW, I'm not disputing that medicated chick starter may or may not be technically affected by the FDA's new regulation; however, the two TSC stores that I have checked are treating the medicated feed as if it is covered by the new regulation. The bottom line is that I can no longer purchase ANY medicated chick starter from either of those stores as per my conversation with the manager at the Carrollton store.

BTW2, I want the government to keep its furry tail out of my hen house, and that includes uninvited veterinarian middlemen. I'm VERY cynical when it comes to manygovernment regulations.

Ah, yes, the south can have very different parasite issues than here in the frozen north.
Yeah, coccidia outbreaks are a problem in this part of the world. For example, studies have shown that native bobwhite quail populations are often impacted. Aside from a scorch-earth program (think Sherman's March to the Sea), it's almost impossible the rid the soil of Eimeria oocysts. Just as a precaution, I use the medicated starter, and my chicks stay in the brooder at least four weeks. That being said, this is just my routine and procedure. Others who choose to raises chicks have to make their own choices. It doesn't hurt my feelings at all if someone decides to proceed on an entirely different path.

Hey clover,

Please feel free to contact the TSC located in Carrollton, Carroll County, GA, and/or the TSC located in the next county over (Douglas) in Douglasville, GA. My starter feed of choice, Purina Premium Start & Grow Medicated Poultry Feed has been pulled from the shelves. The Carrollton store actually sold their remaining stock and will not be re-ordering. The Douglasville store sent their stock of medicated feeds (including my brand of choice) back to the respective manufacturers. I inquired directly from the Carrollton store, and my wife inquired directly at the Douglasville store. Please report back if they tell you any different. Curious minds would love to know.

BTW, I'm not disputing that medicated chick starter may or may not be technically affected by the FDA's new regulation; however, the two TSC stores that I have checked are treating the medicated feed as if it is covered by the new regulation. The bottom line is that I can no longer purchase ANY medicated chick starter from either of those stores as per my conversation with the manager at the Carrollton store.

BTW2, I want the government to keep its furry tail out of my hen house, and that includes uninvited veterinarian middlemen. I'm VERY cynical when it comes to manygovernment regulations.

Thanks brucifer -- I will definitely pass along that info and have someone check with those stores. My guess is it's just an in-stock issue, as Purina Start & Grow is not affected by the VFD changes, nor are most other medicated livestock feeds.

Certain water-soluble antibiotics are the only ones affected. The VFD changes are definitely frustrating to people who are raising livestock on a smaller scale, but fortunately, the majority of the products that were affected, like cattle milk replacers, were replaced by products that don't require a VFD.

Some folks have serious coccidia issues on their property, and really need the amprolium medicated chick starter. I'd tell TSC that you will take your business elsewhere, and do it. That's stupid of them to DQ that feed! Call corporate HQ and complain too. Mary

Medicated chick feed is not discontinued. It is likely just out of stock/sold thru in that particular store and the manager gave wrong info.

The FDA's (not TSC's) changes only affected water-soluble antibiotics, and anything affected has already been replaced with other similar products.

I hope that helps clear up any misinformation!

Hey clover,

Just checked on the Purina Start & Grow Medicated at the Carrollton and Douglasville TSC stores for you -- both the 25 lb and 50 lb bags are available on worksheet, which just means they need to be ordered via the store manager. I'm so sorry someone gave you bad info that they were discontinued. You can get either size -- just ask your store manager to order them for you.

And, the manager will get a refresh on what is and isn't affected by VFD :) Thanks for letting me know about this!

Back
Top Bottom