Is Medicated Starter Feed Being Discontinued from Being Sold Through Feed Stores?

brucifer

Songster
Feb 2, 2017
West-Central GA, USA (God's Country)
Hi everyone. I was at my local TSC last night to pick up a 25 lb sack of Purina Start & Grow Medicated, and I noticed that they only had two sacks left instead of the usual partial pallet. Then I looked on the shelf where they sell the premium brands, and they didn't have any medicated starter feeds there at all. I thought this was rather peculiar since many folks are already getting chicks from breeders, and the chick-rearing season is about to get into high gear. I asked the TSC manager about this, and he told me that TSC is selling off their current stock of medicated starter feeds, that they wouldn't be getting any more, and that veterinarians would be carrying medicated feeds in the future. ???

I don't know if the above information is true or not, or if it is a policy pertaining only to the state of Georgia, so I was hoping that someone here with more knowledge would chime in. Has anyone else heard of this?

I definitely won't be buying medicated starter at a vet since the cost of a 25 lb sack will probably jump from $10 to $25 just because a vet is selling it. Thanks for reading.

TSC has stopped selling all medicated feeds, regardless of whether they are affected by the new antibiotic regulations or not. They are being a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. Most other feed stores are still stocking medicated chick feed since the active ingredient, amprolium, is not an antibiotic.

Thanks Junebug. So the TSC manager wasn't just blowing smoke. I hope Purina can use its clout to get TSC to reconsider. Appreciate the quick reply.
It's a nation wide policy. And they are completely overreacting by discontinuing medicated chick feed. I doubt any vet will supply medicated starter, since it does not contain any antibiotics in it.

All you need to do if you want to supply amprolium protection to new baby chicks in lieu of medicated starter is to mix Corid into their drinking water at the preventative dose as it specifies on the label. Or is TSC suspending the sale of Corid, too?

If so, you can probably find it online.

TSC has stopped selling all medicated feeds, regardless of whether they are affected by the new antibiotic regulations or not. They are being a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. Most other feed stores are still stocking medicated chick feed since the active ingredient, amprolium, is not an antibiotic.

Exactly - the "medicated" label is being taken entirely out of context - something I am not surprised when I see coming from someone unfamiliar with feed (such as a new poultry enthusiast), but disconcerting to say the least when coming from a corporation who should have SOMEONE on their staff who understand this very basic concept.....

All you need to do if you want to supply amprolium protection to new baby chicks in lieu of medicated starter is to mix Corid into their drinking water at the preventative dose as it specifies on the label. Or is TSC suspending the sale of Corid, too?

If so, you can probably find it online.
X 2 - either source feed through other channels or substitute provision of preventative coccidiostat through other means.

Also, it is not necessary at all to use medicated feed -- many poultry raisers, myself included, opt to use non-medicated feeds in raising our chicks.

Agreed. I've never used medicated feed, and never had a single issue with coccidiosis. give the chicks a plug of sod from your yard in the first week. They also benefit greatly from fermented feed. Give them a healthy gut with healthy flora and the cocci load will not become an issue.

Some folks have serious coccidia issues on their property, and really need the amprolium medicated chick starter. I'd tell TSC that you will take your business elsewhere, and do it. That's stupid of them to DQ that feed! Call corporate HQ and complain too. Mary

Back
Top Bottom