Is there another breed that has black pigment skin?

Quote:
The Aayam-cemani is very pretty looks like sumatra, does anybody keep them

Thanks for all the input everyone (I know its late, but I can't sleep too).

The Silkie. The Ayam Cemani. The Swedeesh Black Hen. The Ka of Vietnam. There are rumors of bird in india...

Sumatras have yellow skin... its just the legs and face that are dark.

Quote:
Taste like chicken...
wink.png

I was told recently that all first generation Silkie crosses will have hard feathers and I have never seen a Silkie cross with anything but black skin. so, it seems reasonable that you could cross Silkies with pretty much anything and have a hard feathered, black skinned bird. I have one now. Don't know what she is crossed with but she is solid black, has the black skin, hard feathers, and no extra toe. Very interesting (and beautiful) little lady.
smile.png

Quote:
Not so simple.. Fm(black skin) is dominant. But it is also affected by various other genes- one example is skin pigment inhibitor, another is the dominant white gene. Both of these can 'prevent' the black skin from showing up visually.

Some feather colors seem to lighten up the skin to a sooty color.. skin turning to cranberry or even plain red is pretty common on black skinned roosters at maturity.

Along the mentioned breeds, there are a few people who are trying to breed birds with black skins. Some are trying to recreate birds similar to one of the mentioned breeds, others are going their own route as for type plus the black skin.

Personally, I've been breeding black skinned Naked Necks.

Back
Top Bottom