Is this blood in poop?

JCE123

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014

I had a hen die a few days ago, without any symptoms of illness. Today I noticed this.
What might it mean? Coccidiosis?

I'm sorry you lost one of your mamas... Were you able to perform a necropsy or have her sent in for testing?

As for the rest of your flock, since you had a fatality, I would run a round of Corid in your flock's water. It is available in liquid and powder form... You can pick it up from Tractor Supply or your local feed store. It may say for cattle or goats, but the Corid 9.6% liquid is great for poultry.

It's a super-gentle medication and the hens will hardly notice. :)

To answer your actual question, it COULD be Coccidiosis, yes. It could ALSO be the normal passage of "coral urates" that are most often found in the morning after the chicken sheds part of its intestinal lining.

Please let us know if any more symptoms start.

MrsB

Thank you, I did have my vet come to the house and do a quick necropsy (she is not very experienced with birds, but does have a little knowledge of what things should look like, and she has her own hens). She said she looked healthy inside and out. She did take some samples for testing in a lab, no results yet.
I will start Corid right away. I do have it in my med kit. Thanks.
I haven't read about coral urates, I'll look that up.
I am pretty stressed, this is our first loss, we've had them since June. I hate not knowing if it was a contagious thing. And these girls are well loved pets.
1f622.png

Just be on the lookout for hunched, puffed up chickens, lethargy, weight loss, and any and all discharge from nostrils or vent.

You're doing a great job. Let us know if anything else comes up. <3

MrsB

Ok,I've done Corid for five days, at 5ml per 2L water. Is that dose correct? The same hen has had the same poop a couple more times, including this morning. She seems to do some poops that include water. Like a good poop, but also a tsp water around it. She is behaving normally and laying normally.
Does Corid lose its potency after it's been opened? The bottle I'm using was opened in November, a friend hoped it would help her hen.
I've not heard anything back from my vet about the bird I lost last week.
I did worm my birds in September, I believe. Should I give that another round?
I'm worried AND I'm leaving on vacation on Sunday, so this will all be in my moms hands. :-(
Oh please help me.....:barnie
I'll post a picture of the poop I saw this morning.

Another shot of the same poop. It's not every day, maybe every other or every two days. And the watery ones are not all the time, but she's definitely doing them, her spot on the poop tray has a frozen puddle each morning.

Back
Top Bottom