Is this blood in poop?

It would not hurt to worm with Valbazen if you can get it. It will treat for capillaria worms that can cause blood in the droppings. Dosage is 1/2 ml given orally, and repeat in 10-14 days. If you have to use SafeGuard equine paste or liquid goat wormer, the dose is 1 ml orally for 5 days in a row, since capillaria worm is a tough one to treat. Enteritis can also cause blood in the droppings. How does she seem otherwise--is she eating, active, and alert? If so, it probably isn't a big deal unless you see more blood, but I would worm her at least. You can also give a low dose of Corid for 5 more days.

Thank you! I got lab results back on the hen that died last week, it's coccidiosis. She also had a fatty liver, I guess I give too many treats :(
I have been doing Corid, 5ml in 8 cups of water each day for four days now. I will continue that for a few more days, then try stepping that down to the lower concentration for another week.
Does that sound appropriate?
Thank you again!!

I fed my chickens a bunch of red grapes before the went to sleep last night, this morning, there was blood all over the poop board and the roosting bar. One of the girls also swallowed a large chuck of pool noodle yesterday that was blown in to our yard after the snow storm. These white Leghorns are 8 months old, they have been dewormed when they were 5 months old just when they first started laying. The look healthy otherwise.

I have never seen this before, is it blood? What to do next? Help appreciated.

Quote: It is 4' x 4' coop with a 4 ft long roosting bar for 4 chickens. It has never have any problem or overly aggression among these 4 hens.

I checked every chicken individually, only found one (Green) is missing some head feathers, has some red blood specks on her tail feather, but no apparent wound. The alpha hen (Yellow) is missing some feathers on her stomach, but no blood. The other two are fine, no blood either. All 4 chicken vents look fine, too.

I took the "injured" one (Green) inside (see pictures below) to check her over, she just dozed off on my lap. I am extremely puzzle.

Quote: It is 4' x 4' coop with a 4 ft long roosting bar for 4 chickens. It has never have any problem or overly aggression among these 4 hens.

I checked every chicken individually, only found one (Green) is missing some head feathers, has some red blood specks on her tail feather, but no apparent wound. The alpha hen (Yellow) is missing some feathers on her stomach, but no blood. The other two are fine, no blood either. All 4 chicken vents look fine, too.

I took the "injured" one (Green) inside (see pictures below) to check her over, she just dozed off on my lap. I am extremely puzzle.

Update:
I finally figured out the source of the blood because it happened again a few weeks ago. It was from a broken nail when one of the chickens got startled and hit something the wrong way. The nail grew back, no more problem.

Back
Top Bottom