Is this bumblefoot? (with pics)

You're right - I checked the Bactine and it has Lidocaine in it. But I took the bandage off and she seems to be ok. Did the other posters use Bactine to just numb the area before removing the bumble?

So...Would it be about a tsp or Tbsp Epsoms salts to a cup of warm water?

And should I keep her inside for the next few days? She's still not eating or drinking... but is sitting contentedly in her box.

Sorry for all the questions - with chickens, it seems every day has a new set of issues. ;)

Oh I think a tsp is good. the 5-10 minutes soaking is the hard part. Soap and water is so under rated! A gentle washing for 2-3 minutes can do wonders if you don't have to fight the hen too much. Every bit of the soap has to be rinsed away. I would also tempt her to eat with pieces of hot dog or mealworms or something really good (mine also go crazy for canned cat food). She may be stressed out from being in a strange new environment. She will not recover if she doesn't eat.

Last edited:
Since I took the bandage off, her foot is still bleeding quite a bit.

I soaked it for 15 minutes and it seems the bleeding may be slowing down. When she walks on it, it starts bleeding.

She was completely calm - seemed to like watching TV - so the time went pretty fast! (I did get strange looks from my husband as he walked by...)

Also, she ate most of her scrambled egg and some of the grapes. :) I forgot to mention that I gave her a few drops of Nutri-Drench earlier.

SO much wonderful help for your girl.......You are a good chicken MAMA moogie! If it were my hen, I would leave her in the comfort of the house till she eats normally and the bleeding stops and scab forms, otherwise the rest of the gremlins will have a picnic on her foot.....Watch some good movies together......;) :love

It's not bumblefoot in the traditional sense, but she could have gotten something stuck under a scale or something. It happens with them scratching around. My own blue rooster in my avatar had a piece of something that came through his foot and out between his toes, but it took opening up the swelling on top very carefully and draining pus over several days, changing the bandage every few days, putting Thermazene cream into the wound, and eventually, the offending thing popped out the top and it's healed now.

Joan - she's so much better. I think the epsoms salts did the trick! The swelling is gone, color is normal, and there's now a small scab near the nail (no bleeding!) Her comb & wattles are still pale, but I think even those look better.

She chose to stay in the hoop coop the first day after treatment, but was one of the first out the door the next morning. Yesterday evening, she drove everyone away from "her" brown rice treat, lol. So she's definitely on the mend.

Thank you so much for checking back and for all your helpful advice. BYC feels like family! :D

Back
Top Bottom