It IS a hawk!!

... the hawk never got close. I only saw it very far in the sky, until today. I walked outside and saw the chickens... looking up and I thought the hawk was flying around again so I looked and sure enough, it was the hawk, but it was sitting in our tree in our backyard.....

... There isn't much you can "legally" do... maybe you could tie some long pieces of rope.... crisscrossing over the top of your run? Anything to deter the hawk from being able to just swoop down easily...

Most Chicken or bird hawks are ambush hunters who (as DuckMochi just discovered) like to sit quietly in an overlook position and window shop before selecting a meal. Think of your trees like they are the menu boards in the McDonald's drive through. If or when a hawk does any swooping it has already selected a victim as well as a clear path to get to it.

Here's a video from a couple days ago...watch behind the run and you'll see the hawk swoop down. He then tries to run around at ground level. He stalked them for 10 minutes before giving up and flying off. The girls wouldn't come out of the coop for two days.

Attachments

• 20171212_143724.jpg
    20171212_143724.jpg
    774.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
try using a stuffed dog to keep the bird at bay. Not a tiny one though. find a large stuffed one. I have one that I tied to a line and it moves in the wind.

Last edited:
Being in AZ, you likely have as many as six or more species of hawks as well as both black and turkey vultures.
Turkey vultures only eat carrion. Black vultures eat carrion too but occasionally will harass livestock.
Just a side note, they are all protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 and killing one carries a $15,000 fine along with jail time.

My roosters have been quite successful at thwarting hawk attacks. They almost never even try any more.

Back
Top Bottom