It's Soup Weather! Share Your Favorite Recipes Here!

I recently had a need to make soup but what I had out of the freezer was pork chops. So I googled it and found a great recipe for pork chop soup. You can make soup out of anything it seems.

Here's a link to the recipe I used. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/213144/pork-chop-soup/ Note: I didn't mash the potatoes at all. I like the chunks.

Last edited:
I had a cup of Beef Barley soup at a restaurant last night and it wasn't very good. Now I am hankering for a good Beef Barley Soup. DH doesn't eat much soup and won't touch beef barley, so I never make it. Anyone have a good recipe?

I had a cup of Beef Barley soup at a restaurant last night and it wasn't very good. Now I am hankering for a good Beef Barley Soup. DH doesn't eat much soup and won't touch beef barley, so I never make it. Anyone have a good recipe?
1st, I want to suggest using the search function and choose this thread specifically.

2nd open your search engine of choice (mine is DuckDuckGo) and see what recipes are on the first few pages to see the ingredients list and preparation timelines. You can hybridize them into a single recipe and then once you have it cooled off enough … do what several of us in here do- *tupperware style* single/double serving size frozen containers.

There is actually a very good beef barley soup recipe somewhere in this thread from a couple years ago. I tried it and it was delicious.

I think this is the one:
This is one of our favorite soup recipes:

Mushroom Barley Soup

2 Tab. butter
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery with leaves, diced
2 Tab. parsley
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb. fresh mushrooms
1 Tab. flour
2 Quarts beef broth
1 Cup whole barley
2 tsp salt
pepper

* Melt the butter in a large skillet & sauté onion, celery, parsley, carrot, garlic and mushrooms until soft, about 5 min.
* Lower heat and add flour, stir often for about 5 min. or until thick.
* In soup pot heat the broth. Add the mushroom mixture a cup at a time, stirring after each addition.
* Turn heat under pot to medium-high and add barley. Stir well and add salt and pepper.
* Simmer covered, about 1 hour or until barley is tender and soup thick. Stir often.

Served up with a loaf of crusty bread and you have a nice hot, filling meal!

View attachment 2382046
I used the search function on BYC to find it. Upper right corner of page. Easy.

Back
Top Bottom