Jan./Feb. 2014 hatch a long

I think I was just too old for the other one.

I am almost finished with my new coop. I have 40 chickens sleeping in a 5X7X4 coop. They all fit but they need more room. My new one is 6x16x7. We are going to have really cold weather (for here) Sunday night. I was wondering if I should wait until after the cold to move them. I know being close together keeps them warmer and they won't be used to the new place. How do you get chickens to change coops? Lock the old one? And I can watch them from my window.

I love how you have used a wall and a window from your house. You can check on the chickens without going outside!
thumbsup.gif

Hello, just finished the NYD Hatch-a-Long. But I am wanting to calibrate my 2nd incubator.

Set a batch last night. Brahmas, Silkie/Showgirls, 1 white egg (surprise cause I don't have any chickens that lay white) and 2 smaller eggs. Told my son that I was looking for Phoenix eggs to hatch, he found 2 but I think they may be from my d'Uccle.

Looking at starting a 2nd batch toward the end of this month also. My hubby is going to help make a homemade incubator. And I need tested and ready for the Easter Hatch-a-Long.

Don't chincz on the thermostat on your homade bator. That is what doomed my hatch.

Uh, Oh, I am addicted. I had my first hatch at NYD, and now somehow there are eggs in the incubator again. Wonder how that happened?
idunno.gif
lau.gif

My first hatch did not go as well as I had hoped - I only got one chick hatched out of 7 eggs, and I want to work on some theories as to why. I know they were shipped eggs, shipped during an arctic blast here, and it was my first time hatching, brand new 'bator, etc. To be honest, I am surprised and thrilled that I got one to hatch!

The one chick that hatched, hatched early-ish, especially for the breed. I suspected the 'bator was running a smidge too warm. The new hygrometer is bearing that out, so I am trying running it a degree and a half cooler. Also, it looks the humidity was higher than I thought. The eggs were not delayed in the mail this time, and it wasn't an arctic freeze. So far, it seems there is more luck on my side for this hatch.

fl.gif

George says "Hi" to anyone from the NYD hatch-a-long.

jumpy.gif

Hellooo back to George. :) Glad he's doing well..

I do have that one little lonely egg hagin in there. Due to hatch by tomorrow..I hope. Will see. One little egg out of that 4 doz. I can't believe I even got one this far after it taking a week for the eggs to get here. Then, the paper around them so damp. This will be one little miracle baby if it makes it.

And oh yea, I know absolutely nothing about being an addict when it comes to hatching..nothing ya hear..nothing!

Last edited:
HI,
I want to play...........................
gig.gif

Have 42 in the incubator.think most are a toss...
15 shipped Silkies................got lost in the mail.
And the rest from my mixed layer flock..................some were old and I wonder if most just got to darned cold before I collected them.
Anyway, I'll get what I get.............Oh, I do have a few English Orps from my flock.
Last time I hatched them 4 out of 4 hatched..all Roo's..............
he.gif

Going to candle tonight................due date...1/14.......

Good luck every one.............
And Deanna, I am so envious that you can watch your flock out your window..............
droolin.gif

but I would never get anything done because I would be stuck there...............
Later............
highfive.gif

HI,
gig.gif

And the rest from my mixed layer flock..................some were old and I wonder if most just got to darned cold before I collected them.
Anyway, I'll get what I get.............Oh, I do have a few English Orps from my flock.
he.gif

And Deanna, I am so envious that you can watch your flock out your window..............
droolin.gif

but I would never get anything done because I would be stuck there...............
Later............
highfive.gif

Yours is due one day before mine! I had 42 in my incubator too; 4 were duds and 2 died early. So I have 36 growing.

HI,
gig.gif

he.gif

droolin.gif

Later............
highfive.gif
HEY chickydee!!!
frow.gif

I think I may just have killed off some that I had incubating....came home and the temp said 124....I was having troubles regulating the temps with the freezing weather so I wrapped the incubator in a blanket...well it worked too well
hit.gif

I have had 3 of my frizzles babies hatch and 2 more in the hatcher....one of which was in the incubator that spiked...so we shall see

I'll be putting my bantam cochin, frizzle and mystery chick eggs in today...

Coming over here..looks to be a few more folks than on the Jan. alone month. Not sure I will be hatching in Feb..want to do the Easter Hatch A Long..it's a hoot! So, will wait after this hatch until then to do more.
In the meantime, I just set some EE's last night, have some Rhodebars coming, and some Buff Orpingtons. Should get the two latter tomorrow. Hopefully they did ok in the long shipping. I'm sure they are sitting at a sorting facility two towns over.
hmm.png
I wasn't going to hatch during the winter at all....bator cooled off a few weeks is all lol
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom