Janoel Incubation Experience

So excited for you Heron's Nest! Be sure and post some pics when you get a chance!

As far as shipped eggs, from what I have read, the biggest issue is with detached air cells or rolling air cells. So candle them and move them around and see if your air cell moves. Most recommend leaving the turner off for the first few days to let the air cells re-attach, if you have any moving, but I've read others that say they do fine turning from the beginning, so do some research on that! Otherwise, I guess the other basic issue is cracks, of course. I hope all yours make it with no issues!

So while I had mine emptied out, I made a few adjustments to the base. I drilled 3 more holes... near the left corner of each side wall, kinda in the same place the filler hole is. Now I can reach all 4 corners without opening the lid, and I think it will allow me to make minor humidity adjustments better, and also provide some more ventilation, which I think this model lacks. I'll find some small corks/plugs to put in them.
I also took a red sharpie and outlined the outside channel walls, and used a black one on the inside walls, so I can see them! I was always guessing whether I was getting in the right place! I really only needed water in two corner squares to keep it high enough. If I got any in the inner channels, it shot way up. I guess the corner holes really solved this, but thought I might as well go ahead and mark the walls anyway, just for reference.

I also taped some of that insulation to the bottom, leaving those drain holes free. I shoved a piece up under the bator while it was running, but couldn't tape it on, so I hope this helps with temperature consistencies! I also pulled the temp sensor out of the zip-tie on the top and let it hang down an inch or so. Not sure if that was a good idea or not, but I didn't cut the zip-tie, so I think I could put it back the way it was. Someone else mentioned doing this, but I don't remember seeing any results/issues. Would love to know if this helped?

Now to re-sanitize it, and fill 'er back up!

Quote:
I set my first shipped eggs and they are due Wed. April1. So a little more time will tell if my strategies worked. I candled them when they came. The shipper had put the date laid on each egg. I numbered the eggs and let them sit in a carton for about 7-8 hrs. Then I adapted parts of the carton so that all 15 would fit in my Janoel 12 incubator. I had read about cutting the bottom out of each cell of the egg carton so I did that. Then I just tilted the whole incubator only a little bit. I did this by putting it on a towel on the counter with the end of the towel rolled up. Over the first few days I slowly increased the degree of the tilt. changing the side 3 times a day. When I first candled the eggs several had loose but not rolling air cells that are no longer loose, all air cells look good. Only one had a really crazy air cell and it is developing but if it hatches I'll be quite suprised. It looks like the chick is developing oddly and behind but it is still moving. I guess Wednesday I'll know if my process worked. One thing I did note was that the fresher the shipped egg the better it's air cell looked. I think that the longer since being laid the bigger the cell is and the more likely it is to be distubed by shipping.

I need help!! I just used my bator last week and I unplugged it and I wanna use it again and the last week my bator HASnt heated up past 90 degrees I have blankets around it and It isn't going up enough help!!

Double yolkers eh? Good luck with that. I have only heard of one success as the space issue, but I look forward to hearing about it!

I woke up to one Chocolate Orpington out and another pipped. Now I am just eagerly awaiting my Spangles and Gold laced to pip. Fingers crossed.
jumpy.gif

Already have eggs in the mail for next hatch. This will be my first time setting eggs that have been mailed. Any advice?
Missed this post, gratz on the hatching!

Back
Top Bottom