January 2015 Beach Themed Afghan Square Donation

acemario

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Northern Utah
All BYC rules apply, this is not "endorsed" by BYC and they are not responsible for any issues w/ the swap. If you have issues w/ it contact me not BYC.

Time for another crochet collaboration! :)

OVERVIEW:

This time, however, it is going to be a little bit different. Rather than crocheting an entire blanket to swap with other BYC members, I am hosting a afghan square donation. Here's how it works:

Everyone will crochet 1 to 4 afghan squares (depending on how many people join the swap) of a designated pattern (we will vote on a pattern) using the Red Heart Super Saver yarn (more details in this post) and will send the squares to me by Valentines day, February 14.

I will sew all of the squares together to form a blanket and will take it to one of the following places to help someone in need, 1) the temporary abuse shelter, 2) the youth homeless shelter, or 3) the food pantry.

We crocheters tend to be very charitable and this gives us a chance to put our hooks together across the country to help give someone hope and to keep a little warmer during these cold months.

If you would like to participate in this crochet donation, please keep reading!

DETAILS:

How to join? Reply to this thread saying you are joining before Saturday, January 17th, if possible. Late comers are still more than happy to join!!!! But getting an early list will help us to know how many squares we need to make. By replying to this thread, your name will be added to the list, and you are IN!.

What is the pattern? If you are joining, please include with your reply to this thread your vote on one of the three 12" squares below to use for our blanket. (Disclaimer: I have not tried these, but others had completed the patterns on ravelry, so I think they should be safe to make). The pattern will be finalized on January 17th. If there is a tie, I will make an executive decision. These patterns are all free on ravelry. I can email instructions to those without a ravelry account.

1) THE HEAT WAVE
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/heat-wave-12-inch-square
DSCF2593_medium.JPG

2) DALLIANCE
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dalliance-12-afghan-block
puffp_medium2.jpg

3) THE BURST SQUARE
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/double-treble-burst-square-12hx12w-inches---crochetville
flower_filler_medium2.jpg

What yarn do I use? Please use Red Heart Super Saver yarn, or a yarn that is very close in properties. Here is information about the yarn: http://www.redheart.com/yarn/super-saver-economy. Please be sure the yarn is 100% acrylic. I am not going to be super picky about yarn because I know some people have a hard time getting specific colors.

What colors do I use? This swap is going to be BEACH THEMED!!!! :) Because it is so cold, I thought it would be nice to get us all thinking about our private beach in paradise. Be creative! I am thinking of using some white, tans, blues, and maybe some greens and yellows. :) It will be super fun to see how each of us can put a unique perspective of "the beach" into a blanket. This will surely be a piece of art. I am not requiring a specific border color. When I join, I'll pick the one that joins them the best. Here is a picture to get your brains going:

images

How many squares do I make? The blanket will be a minimum of 24 squares (unless we have a lot of participants). We will divide the squares by the number of participants to get a final, with 4 per person being the max (unless you'd like to crochet more than 4
big_smile.png
!)

Where do I send them? I will PM participants my address towards the end of the donation, or whenever you finish your squares.

What happens to the squares after I send them? I will receive all of the squares, sew them together, and put a border on it. I will then take it to one of the following places, based on which organization has an individual that could really benefit from our gift:
1) the temporary abuse shelter, 2) the youth homeless shelter, or 3) the food pantry.

Will this be fun? YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I tried to include as many details as possible, but if more questions arise in the thread, I will add to this main page.

LET'S START!!!!!

PARTICIPANT LIST:
1) acemario
2) rancherhicks
3) christine9

Last edited:
Well now. I vote for #1 since it's a simple square, solid color. Will we choose our own color? Right now I'm working on using up all the yarn I have. I might already have some Super Saver yarn to use up. Four squares should be easy. I might even use the pattern for my own squares to donate at church.

I'm making just some basic granny squares and thanks to the last swap some 6" circles too. But I have a lot of yarn.

Crochet is a good work out for the mind. I like to work enough to remember the pattern in my head. Lots of empty space there you know.

When will you make a decision? I'd like to get started and get these out of the way.
wink.png

Well now. I vote for #1 since it's a simple square, solid color.  Will we choose our own color?  Right now I'm working on using up all the yarn I have. I might already have some Super Saver yarn to use up. Four squares should be easy.  I might even use the pattern for my own squares to donate at church.  

I'm making just some basic granny squares and thanks to the last swap some 6" circles too. But I have a lot of yarn. 

Crochet is a good work out for the mind. I like to work enough to remember the pattern in my head. Lots of empty space there you know. 

When will you make a decision? I'd like to get started and get these out of the way. ;)
welcome! Yes, you can choose your own colors, just use colors that remind you of the beach. You can also switch colors intermittently if you'd like. Once we get a few more people voting, we will make the decision.
These patterns would look great for your church blocks!

@rancher hicks & @christine9 , I am super anxious to start and hope a few more people will join! If we could get three more people, everyone would make four squares. Let's see if we can get a few more people to join. But, by any means, we'll decide on the pattern either Friday or Saturday (depending on how busy I am at work on Friday.)

Start choosing your beach colors! :)

@rancher hicks & @christine9 , I am super anxious to start and hope a few more people will join! If we could get three more people, everyone would make four squares. Let's see if we can get a few more people to join. But, by any means, we'll decide on the pattern either Friday or Saturday (depending on how busy I am at work on Friday.)

Start choosing your beach colors! :)

Well now what beach are we talking about? We've got beaches here with Blue Green water, and sand. Yellow Polka dot bikinis and no bikinis at all. Sea weed er Lake weed. Beer cans and plastic bags. Since these are coming to you, pick a color and I'll try to match it, with out buying more yarn.
lau.gif
I mean there could be a Sun Burn red.
lau.gif
Bacon Brown for those who've gotten to much sun.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Well now what beach are we talking about? We've got beaches here with Blue Green water, and sand. Yellow Polka dot bikinis and no bikinis at all. Sea weed er Lake weed. Beer cans and plastic bags. Since these are coming to you, pick a color and I'll try to match it, with out buying more yarn.
lau.gif
I mean there could be a Sun Burn red.
lau.gif
Bacon Brown for those who've gotten to much sun.
lau.gif
lau.gif
HAHA! Like I said... be creative! I'll make one either tonight or tomorrow with some of my leftover yarns and will post it here as soon as I finish.

Ok! I whipped up a prototype of the first pattern that we all liked. The pattern was a bit difficult to follow at first, but once you get it, it goes pretty fast. Here's my first interpretation of the beach;

Last edited:
Ok! I whipped up a prototype of the first pattern that we all liked. The pattern was a bit difficult to follow at first, but once you get it, it goes pretty fast. Here's my first interpretation of the beach;
I did one too,but it's too small. 11" If I block it, it will be big enough but I don't like to do that. I'll make another with a larger hook. Can't get much bigger than a J though. Unless I alter the pattern some. I think if I use a half double crochet where there are singles that might give me the extra inch.

Great! I used a H and it came out just about right. I am a pretty loose crocheter, though. Feel free to send the smaller square too, if you'd like. I could just throw a border on it and try to make it work.

What did you think of the pattern?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom