January 2017 Hatch-a-long

My quails starting hatching last night/ this morning! By the time I left for work 5 were out!!
Congratulations!
smile.png

I hatched some button quail yesterday. I wanted some for my aviary and couldn't find any nearby. Had to buy an incubator, get some eggs from eBay and hatch 'em myself. :) They're the tiniest little self-feeding fluff balls. So freaking small.
Awe, I love them! Quail and rabbits are the next ones we will be adding here, and I am super excited to get started on the quail, but I have to wait at least another month. I would rather get them now and get going! I also decided to add a couple little button quail as indoor pets. I have come up with a design for a coffee table button quail habitat that will house 4, in two sections.

4 out of 6 Dark Brahma eggs have made it to lockdown. Anticipated hatch day is Friday. We've had bizarrely cold weather this winter, so I am ready to brood chicks in the house for at least a few weeks.

Anyone else getting near lockdown?

I have 6 left from the abandoned eggs that have made it, they are on day 20 right now. The ones under Buffy started late (day 22) but she has at least 3 so far out of ten, and the Black Australorp is on day 19 with 10 eggs also.

Awe, I love them! Quail and rabbits are the next ones we will be adding here, and I am super excited to get started on the quail, but I have to wait at least another month. I would rather get them now and get going! I also decided to add a couple little button quail as indoor pets. I have come up with a design for a coffee table button quail habitat that will house 4, in two sections.
that's awesome!! I'm not sure what to do with 7 because I'm supposed to keep them in pairs. We will see how that goes lol I'll get some aquariums. My incubator worked better than expected ;)
Keep in mind, I think they're pretty loud if you want to keep them inside. My parakeets are slowly giving me a headache now, the non-stop chatter. I'm slowly transitioning off to an outdoor aviary, a big one. :D

that's awesome!! I'm not sure what to do with 7 because I'm supposed to keep them in pairs. We will see how that goes lol I'll get some aquariums. My incubator worked better than expected ;)

Keep in mind, I think they're pretty loud if you want to keep them inside. My parakeets are slowly giving me a headache now, the non-stop chatter. I'm slowly transitioning off to an outdoor aviary, a big one. :D 

Noisy may make it difficult to sleep (I seep during the day). I have migraines and a constant headache... But I suppose it is always worth a try. They can always be moved if they are too much for my head.

I have been debating on how many button quail eggs to get for that exact reason! I don't want to end up with too many. However, I would like to have enough for them to choose their own mates. Decisions, decisions!

Back
Top Bottom