January 2017 Hatch-a-long

I set 12 RIR eggs 1/3/17 and am completely hooked. This is my first go round with eggs and I am nervous and very excited! I'm testing my ability before I attempt a hatch in my classroom. Wish me luck!

Careful! That is how I got started!
What grade?
I teach first and my kids LOVED it! I can't wait to do it again this year. I believe we do eggs in April. :)

Careful! That is how I got started!
What grade?
I teach first and my kids LOVED it! I can't wait to do it again this year. I believe we do eggs in April. :)

Second grade in Virginia. The kids can't wait to hatch "their" eggs. Some of them had classroom hatches before and that bunch is more excited than the ones who haven't. Chicken math is starting early in them! !

Well, I am almost 100% certain these chicks are all gonners. There are a few that I am not sure on still, so I figured I would give them a couple more days and then check one more time for further development. I did remove 2 tonight. I am not sure what to do with the hen. That is twice she abandoned a nest. I am considering marking her for the freezer, but then also considering giving her more time. Maybe if she tried again later, a little older, she might do better? I just don't know. On other news, we have another Australorp considering motherhood! She was on three eggs earlier, but I thought she was just laying an egg. She got off to get some grains, and I collected eggs. I didn't think anything of it when an Australorp went into a nest box to check it out, so I did not realize it was the same one. Lol Well, she went back into the box she was in before and settled into it. So I will keep an eye on her tomorrow, and if she stays, I will give her some eggs, and that will put us back at 3 broodies for January hatches! Crazy chickens! Lol

Last edited:
I have a pip!

And of course it's on the wrong end
1f644.png

Are you guys turning the eggs by hand?

I do. But I keep them in cut down egg cartons the whole time, so it's just a process of propping up one side, then the other, about 5 times a day. Then I leave the shipped eggs in the carton during hatch, but set my own down on the incubator floor to make more room for them to flop around once the chicks are out.

Well, I am almost 100% certain these chicks are all gonners. There are a few that I am not sure on still, so I figured I would give them a couple more days and then check one more time for further development. I did remove 2 tonight. I am not sure what to do with the hen. That is twice she abandoned a nest. I am considering marking her for the freezer, but then also considering giving her more time. Maybe if she tried again later, a little older, she might do better? I just don't know. On other news, we have another Australorp considering motherhood! She was on three eggs earlier, but I thought she was just laying an egg. She got off to get some grains, and I collected eggs. I didn't think anything of it when an Australorp went into a nest box to check it out, so I did not realize it was the same one. Lol Well, she went back into the box she was in before and settled into it. So I will keep an eye on her tomorrow, and if she stays, I will give her some eggs, and that will put us back at 3 broodies for January hatches! Crazy chickens! Lol

I would give the hen more time. I've noticed that sometimes my more experienced hens seem to teach the younger hens how to incubate. I usually keep the non broody hens around anyway for their eggs. I have also noticed some of my hens successfully sharing duties on the nest.

Are you guys turning the eggs by hand?

No. I have a small desk top incubator with an egg turner. I use that until I am ready to set the eggs. Then I move the eggs to my big GQF incubator which also turns the eggs for me.

Back
Top Bottom