January 2017 Hatch-a-long

It's day 18 and lock down for the Araucana mix!
(possible black, silver, silver duckwing, lavender, BBR & white)

We started out with 12. 7 were yolkers, 1 blood ring, and 4 left for lock down.

All our our birds are never out of their coops. Too expensive to lose them and too many animals to worry about
Ahh. I live in the city so the only problem we really have is feral cats, and a trap with some yummy wet food usually takes care of that
smile.png

Sounds like someone needs to start a February Hatch-A-Long
wink.png
Haha, I may! It depends on how many of my 4 weekers are pullets and how many are roos.

A gal we know with chickens had a fungus problem using hay. Probably the same principles at work in both - keep it clean.
Had nothing to do with cleanliness. They were freshly chipped into a pile. And some slight decomposition had taken place. Might have even been oak tree related. Long story short... I would spread them out and dry them before trying to use it in my run.

Too cute!  :love

I was thinking of ordering quail eggs for hatching. But now I realize I am running a test hatch starting today and then I wanna hatch my breeders.... That's like 42 days minimum before I can think about it for real. :barnie  Gotta set up a hatching schedule! :oops:  :yiipchick

Could get another incubator or 2.
That will free up the schedule.

:lau

You joke, but that is how I ended up with three incubators. Never mix NyQuil and eBay. I didn't know how many eggs I was getting until they arrived!

It's addicting.

I have 3 styros. A reptipro, a brinsea, and if. That wasn't enough I just bought a 1502 sportsman. And ebay after a couple beers and nothing on tv.

I know where your coming from

Hatch Day is tomorrow, but my eager Brahmas are setting their own schedule. Two pips this morning, and one hatched mid-day. Here is the chick, cuddling the pipped egg... which promptly started to unzip. I am so happy! I always feel lucky when shipped eggs hatch out robust chicks.

The two other eggs aren't showing any sign of pips yet, but it's still Day 20, and they did look great at lockdown.

Back
Top Bottom