January 2017 Hatch-a-long

Oh, got a surprise when I peeked at the eggs inside. A pip! And not just a pip, but a chick working on beginning to zip! It has been several hours, and it has a nice size hole and mas made it almost 1/4 of the way around the egg, and has been sitting there with no more progress for the past... 3 hours. It is peeping and struggling between a couple minute rest breaks, but it is not turning. Is this normal?

Oh, got a surprise when I peeked at the eggs inside. A pip! And not just a pip, but a chick working on beginning to zip! It has been several hours, and it has a nice size hole and mas made it almost 1/4 of the way around the egg, and has been sitting there with no more progress for the past... 3 hours. It is peeping and struggling between a couple minute rest breaks, but it is not turning. Is this normal?

Yay how exciting! I'm sure that the chick will be absolutely fine- it's a pretty exhausting ordeal for it so its probally just resting. If it has enough strengh to pip and begin unzipping, then it'll probally have enough energy to hatch- just give it time! Good luck :)

I had a pip, zip and quit on my last hatch. It was so quick. One minute it was cruising along, even pushing up on the top of the shell, the next minute it had stopped. I only waited a couple minutes before helping it, but it was already gone. So sad! (And worse yet, I had invited a home school family over to watch the process, so this was their first experience! Ugh.)
Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. Well, I suppose that the chicks that don't make it are part of the lesson, too, though a sad part. Ugh, yes.

The third Dark Brahma chick pipped at bedtime last night, and was out by morning. Yay! The last egg hasn't shown a pip, so I may pick it up and see if there's a pip on the underside. If there's nothing, I'll candle and look for an internal pip, I guess.

Very happy with three chicks from the four in lockdown, though!

OK. Today is finally day 49 of emu incubation. Lock down! I still have one wiggling and the other I think is a dud. Here's hoping I get at least one healthy emu chick!

Wow that's a long incubation, my patience is tested with 21 days on chickens even.

Today is day 20 for us, can't hear any peeps yet so getting concerned

Hi @sunhakwon, I don't go by the temperature on the Walmart hygrometer, I calibrated and it reads too low. I just use it for the humidity.

We got 2 pips on day 21!!!
This is our family TV for today

It's so bright in your bator.... is that home made with an incandescent bulb?

The kid is cute watching TV! :love

Thanks @EggSighted4Life !
Yes! It's home made. We made it out of a meat box. The 40W incandescent bulb is behind the cardboard partition with a PC fan blowing air from under it onto a thermostat. Only one bulb so no power cuts please!

First one zipping now!

Back
Top Bottom