January 2017 Hatch-a-long

The ducks are coming!
At bedtime last night I had 2 and one more on the way!

Ok. Daryl the emu has been internally pipped for 39 hours now. I read that it can take 24-48 hrs to externally pip. He's still moving and I hear him scratching around. He hasn't been peeping much. Not even when he first pipped. So the peeping is the same as it was when he first pipped. I'm starting to get more nervous.

Ok. Daryl the emu has been internally pipped for 39 hours now. I read that it can take 24-48 hrs to externally pip. He's still moving and I hear him scratching around. He hasn't been peeping much. Not even when he first pipped. So the peeping is the same as it was when he first pipped. I'm starting to get more nervous.

Come on, Daryl, you can do it!!!
1f64f.png

Some peep a lot and some never peep, at least with chicks. Try not to fret! I know it's hard.

Oh my gawd, yes! Lol i ordered 12 more hatching eggs (a colorful variety) and I still have 2 batches in my incubators! I haven't told my husband yet!
1f604.png
Was really hoping to wake up to at least one pip today - is that too much to ask, little birdies? Just one? Ah well, an exercise in patience ensues. And speaking of patience (okay, not really very patient here) has anyone ordered or been collecting eggs for their next hatch????
1f423.png
1f601.png

Last edited:
Finally got the humidity down to about 25%. The book I have says if the humidity is too high (especially for the big guys....which Daryl is...started at 716g) the oxygen will be too low in the shell. Bigger birds need high oxygen to absorb the yolk.
I lowered the humidity and it was like a switch. Daryl is peeping like crazy and rocking around in the bator. I feel a little better now.

I have 2 Cream Legbars and their egg colors both disappoint... One lays blue-green eggs and one white! They are pretty birds though, but flighty. I had to clip their wings because they jump on top of their 6 ft coop and gaze over the fence, planning their escape...
I'm about to start searching for eggs for my next hatch. I'm hoping to get some Crested Cream Legbar eggs locally!

So exciting! I can't wait to see what Daryl looks like!
Finally got the humidity down to about 25%. The book I have says if the humidity is too high (especially for the big guys....which Daryl is...started at 716g) the oxygen will be too low in the shell. Bigger birds need high oxygen to absorb the yolk.
I lowered the humidity and it was like a switch. Daryl is peeping like crazy and rocking around in the bator. I feel a little better now.

I have 2 Cream Legbars and their egg colors both disappoint... One lays blue-green eggs and one white! They are pretty birds though, but flighty. I had to clip their wings because they jump on top of their 6 ft coop and gaze over the fence, planning their escape...

Yeah, those colored egg layers can be hit and miss - my brown egg laying (but sweet as all get out) EE for example. Ah well, they look interesting, and they're auto sexing, which makes me really happy!

Yeah, those colored egg layers can be hit and miss - my brown egg laying (but sweet as all get out) EE for example. Ah well, they look interesting, and they're auto sexing, which makes me really happy!

Auto-sexing? You got my attention! Would creambar hens crossed with a buff orpington rooster still produce autosexing chicks?

Back
Top Bottom