January 2017 Hatch-a-long

6 ducklings so far, and at least 3 more have pipped! I had to open the incubator, they were all wedged between the other eggs and the lid. I threw a warm wet sponge in when I opened it, so hopefully no damage was done.

My mama hen brought her chicks out to explore their run today... With my help of course. She went out and they cried, "Mama! Mama! Mama!" as I have a partition in front of the door so they don't fall out... So I placed them in the run with her and she taught them how to dust bathe and scratch around... And I left them out with her for a couple hours before putting them back in the coop and she followed... :) So cute... Day 20 for my 2 viable eggs in my first batch in the incubator! 2 out of 7?! Thinking broodies are the way to go!

Auto-sexing? You got my attention! Would creambar hens crossed with a buff orpington rooster still produce autosexing chicks?

No, sadly, with the auto sexing breeds, they are pretty exclusive. Now for a sex-linked bird, there are quite a few crosses that will yield different features on the different sexes. Here's one of mine - just hatched(!!!!!) and right away, we can tell it's a boy (you can't see in this photo, but he's got a white spot on the top of his head - he's also carrying around a little shell for later
1f603.png
) . He got the barring gene from his mama (BR) and his dad is a BCM.

It took 48.5 hrs from internal pip to external pip. I resisted the urge to help and I am really glad I did. He's working on busting out of his shell now. I know I need to go to sleep but I'm too excited.

Brilliant color! Lol so do emu's lay eggs everyday like chickens?Or seasonally? Lol can you imagine the platter you'd get from such an egg? You could feed a whole family!
It took 48.5 hrs from internal pip to external pip. I resisted the urge to help and I am really glad I did. He's working on busting out of his shell now. I know I need to go to sleep but I'm too excited.

Two littles born during the night... I think the gray one is a boy as his dad is autosexing cream legbar and baby has a white spot on his head...
[/IMG]

If mom isn't a cream Legbar then the chicks won't be autosexing. My flock is a Cream Legbar rooster over hens of different breeds.

Back
Top Bottom