Japanese Bantam Thread!

Thanks! I'm lucky to live in Hawaii, if I had to deal with keeping em safe from frostbite and all that it would be a whole other ballgame...

I used to live in WI and now TN. It's really not that hard to avoid frostbite; even with free range. My serama are housed in a homemade solar home (south side of the coop is completely open to sunlight) made of heavy plastic sheeting. Rarely does it get to the freezing point. The hens raise chicks throughout the winter.

That's awesome, it sounds like they live comfortable lives! That's a really good coop you've made, they're lucky to have someone who took the time to make sure they're well taken care of through all the seasons. I always have my chickens happiness in mind too. If my birds weren't doing good, I wouldn't be doing good either. I'm so attached to em already.

Hello!

I have five lovely little Japanese bantam babies. They are 3 weeks old. I'm quite nervous as we live in the city and three of them are displaying some red wattle formation (maybe?) and are definitely very loud. My husband and I wanted a good amount of chickens, so we were thinking of getting some chicks at Tractor Supply to supplement if we get roos (we live in the city and can't have roosters unfortunately). Has anyone introduced Japanese bantams chicks with regular chicks? Or is this even possible? Just trying to get some ideas from people that own them. Also for those that own- what was your telltale that your roosters were roosters?

Thanks so much!!

B6B52A61-18FE-45DE-ABC2-A2E11DE6A43B.jpeg
This is my bantam hen she is two months old. As you can see her legs are blue grey. The little Roo has yellow legs. I got them in straight run from our tractor supply. Just curious thoughts on her legs being blue. I also got two silkies at the same time in the same batch of chicks. Thanks

Does anyone have any "glow up/grow up" pics of their Japs? Day old, One month, Two month, Six months old etc and so on? I'm curious about colours as they grow, which sex they ended up being, etc. Thanks! These are 2 of my babies, 6 weeks old now❤️
pixlr_20201011201334200.jpg

Does anyone have any "glow up/grow up" pics of their Japs? Day old, One month, Two month, Six months old etc and so on? I'm curious about colours as they grow, which sex they ended up being, etc. Thanks! These are 2 of my babies, 6 weeks old now❤View attachment 2370083
Those two look like pullets for sure. The roos comb will usually be noticeably larger by that age and also reddening

Japanese Bantam are very neat little chickens. I remember I tired to place an order on them at my local feed store many years ago. But I never got the custom order fulfilled. :/

I’m curious if my little guy is part Japanese. He’s a rescue & I’m filling him full of healthy food & vitamins to help his tail feathers regrow. I think he’s 1/2 Japanese & 1/2 silkie because his feathers are very coarse looking like a silkies would be.
C208864B-3CE3-412C-AD88-4766848018A8.jpeg
95C81E00-8769-415C-8241-3E93A5AE1128.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom