Japanese Coturnix Quail Color Genetics (Plumage mutations)

Well know for a fact the British Range, english whites , and pharohs , all came from the common quails of Europe......they are not JAPANESE QUAIL.

But for some reason people think they are, not so. Corturnix corturnix are the common quail of europe

RIGHT, AS IN Coturnix coturnix japonica.....

THEY'RE ALL IN THE SAME SPECES CODE​

Quote:
That is incorrect.

Dr. Stino studied quail captured upon arrival from Europe. Their plummage color was exactly like the Japanese Quail. He cross bred the two back and forth to create the birds we have today and the color mutations we have today come from the Japanese Quail that he concluded had full genetic compatibility with it's ancestors. Plus the Japanese QUail we have today are domesticated. The common quail and the original Japanese Quail were very high strung.

Quote:
by hatching out a ton of chicks
wink.png

I agree with this article a lot as many people "think" they create a mutation when it has been already created...makes it difficult in naming the variety. This is the most correct article there is right now.

but then you can not tell if the male or the female is the split or not.
tongue.png

is there any way to tell? is there 1 color that is not split? or a male of such and such color or?

also since we are talking genetics and breeding etc.. is there a safe way to pair single females with a single male without the hen getting beat up? or how long does the fertility last after a mating?

just so everyone knows I'm trying to get my very dark red ranges to breed true....

So I am just learning about the genetics and trying to find the best way to breed them since my selective breeding is working but very very slowly and still a lot of other colors in hatches.

So I am trying to figure out who to remove from the breeding pool. Who is more likely to be throwing the off colors.
Designing a good breeding program is a challenge sometimes
smile.png

Quote:
That is incorrect.

Dr. Stino studied quail captured upon arrival from Europe. Their plummage color was exactly like the Japanese Quail. He cross bred the two back and forth to create the birds we have today and the color mutations we have today come from the Japanese Quail that he concluded had full genetic compatibility with it's ancestors. Plus the Japanese QUail we have today are domesticated. The common quail and the original Japanese Quail were very high strung.

Marsh farm , import them back in the early 60s, Why would they get those names if they were Japanese Quail, The golds and maybe a few other may have come from Asia.....Those three where from the common Quail. I talk with him thru letters back them, thats why its crazy to see them being called Japanese.....sure after all the crosses , very few are japanese or common...but a cross of the two, The tuxdeo was marsh farms cross of the english white and British range too....

Quote:
RIGHT, AS IN Coturnix coturnix japonica.....

THEY'RE ALL IN THE SAME SPECES CODE

Coturnix coturnix is the common quail

Coturnix japonica is the japanese quail

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom