Java Green peafowl questions

Those Spaldings don't look that high %. I am not sure about the exact price, but probably a price a little more than the price of an India blue.

Here are photos of the Castlebury Java Greens: http://www.castlebury.net/greenpeafowl.htm
I emailed him not too long ago and I don't think they have any greens left now or at least they don't sell anymore.

Zaz of the green peachick photos I want to say the second bird is an import? Then I guess maybe the last photo that hen is an import?

I would say to check with Kelly Wheelbarger of Read Mountain Peafowl because he has some nice Javas. His sell pretty quickly but he might have some males. I think this time of year is when he sells the chicks.
# 1 male and # 5 female.

Do you know where Kelly got his greens , i thought i read he got some from Joshs line , i have chated with him on his FB

Okay then the main difference from what I am seeing if #1 & #5 are the imports is in the crest.

Kelly has Rodney Michael greens, but he did get a few males from Josh to introduce new blood. Actually Josh I think has some American Greens from Kelly. If you are trying to really vary your bloodlines Kelly might not be the way to go, but the greens he has are very nice.

AugeredIn has visited a breeder in Alabama who he says has some nice greens. AugeredIn got his Imperators from this guy and then of course my Imperator is from AugeredIn's Imperators. I think this guy he has visited has some Javas.

Yet another option is Elton Housely. I keep forgetting to go see his birds, but AugeredIn has visited him as well so he could probably tell you more about his greens.

Okay then the main difference from what I am seeing if #1 & #5 are the imports is in the crest.

Kelly has Rodney Michael greens, but he did get a few males from Josh to introduce new blood. Actually Josh I think has some American Greens from Kelly. If you are trying to really vary your bloodlines Kelly might not be the way to go, but the greens he has are very nice.

AugeredIn has visited a breeder in Alabama who he says has some nice greens. AugeredIn got his Imperators from this guy and then of course my Imperator is from AugeredIn's Imperators. I think this guy he has visited has some Javas.

Yet another option is Elton Housely. I keep forgetting to go see his birds, but AugeredIn has visited him as well so he could probably tell you more about his greens.
Thanks so much i knew you did alot of reserch and i shada coulda woulda done it myself but i needed a place to start

Why would you sell the extra hens? Green males can easily handle 4 or 5 hens. Your American green chicks looks great by the way, better than most American green chicks i have seen before.

Why would you sell the extra hens? Green males can easily handle 4 or 5 hens. Your American green chicks looks great by the way, better than most American green chicks i have seen before.
I have been informed by several breeders that 2 is pushing the issue that the hens will fight during laying season
idunno.gif
I noticed josh only had 2 hens per pen

Thanks for the compliments on the green , honestly i never could tell the difference in the American and imported bloodlines now that they are banned and i know which are which i still can not tell without looking at the bands , i will take photos of them all in a week or two when they get their neck feathers back , they already look so much better .

It was funny to watch them try to pluck feathers right at dusk, they would try and then when they got nowhere they would fly down and then fly up next to a different green and try to pluck them, didn't work out that way either LOL

Thanks so much i knew you did alot of reserch and i shada coulda woulda done it myself but i needed a place to start

No problem Zaz! I am here to give people help anyways. I spent forever reaching dead ends researching green peafowl breeders only to find out some of the best sources in the US are about an hour from me!
roll.png
There isn't as much information readily available about greens like there is for India Blues and their varieties so it can be difficult finding out stuff. I am learning from your experiences with your greens. I am also learning from Raptor.

So today my green boy Raptor ran up to my foot making the scariest high pitch, long squealing noise I have ever heard. It was his attempt at a mating call. Needless to say I was very surprised. I wish I had caught it on video because it was the strangest bird noise ever. If you have watched Harry Potter those plants that they pull up that scream, the Mandrakes, that is what he sounded like.

Last edited:
I have been informed by several breeders that 2 is pushing the issue that the hens will fight during laying season
idunno.gif
I noticed josh only had 2 hens per pen
I'm not sure about this, of course it will depend on the hens personality first, but i think if you raised them from chicks together until they become adults i don't think they will fight. I think if Josh has extra hens he will use them too. My hens never fight with each other, and they had the best hatch rate last year.

I'm not sure about this, of course it will depend on the hens personality first, but i think if you raised them from chicks together until they become adults i don't think they will fight. I think if Josh has extra hens he will use them too. My hens never fight with each other, and they had the best hatch rate last year.
I only saw one to two hens per green peacock when i was there

Back
Top Bottom