Java Thread

I 100% agree! I plan to hatch out about 100 chicks a year and keep 10 or less to breed. I have outlined cull ages and criteria as well. In addition, I am trying to start with birds as close to SOP as possible. This will allow me to play around a little with color, but my culls will not be based on color. I will cull based on quality, egg production, meat production, and broodiness. Color will be an added bonus.

Maybe once I get a good quality line I can mess with it more.

I 100% agree! I plan to hatch out about 100 chicks a year and keep 10 or less to breed. I have outlined cull ages and criteria as well. In addition, I am trying to start with birds as close to SOP as possible. This will allow me to play around a little with color, but my culls will not be based on color. I will cull based on quality, egg production, meat production, and broodiness. Color will be an added bonus.

Maybe once I get a good quality line I can mess with it more.
Since Auburns aren't recognized by the APA, breeding them to standard for color will be kinda hard :) Lyle Behl has done I think the most with the non-standard colors and he actually has made himself something of a standard that he breeds to as far as color in the Auburns. I would also recomend joining Java Breeders of America - there is some good info there.

I am a member, although I have not paid the $10 yet as the membership form is down. I guess what I meant was to breed for quality and ability (as a duel purpose bird) and working on color later. Colors can always be added into the SOP, and although perfecting colors can take a very long time, it can be easier then breeding in body type, so I plan on focusing on that for now and dabbling with color on the side. :)

They are my best year around layers and they do grow slow but they lay for many years.I have one that is 7 years old and still lays good.I'm getting much less now for my eggs .i e fall.$25 a dozen$14 shipping.This spring about 3 times more.

Does anyone have Monte Bowen or joy berry birds and are selling eggs? I don't think I will be able to get them this fall but would like to have an order placed with someone. I have tried 2 times to get some of Monte Bowen eggs and NOTHING HATCHED!!!
hit.gif
hit.gif
HE WAS VERY GOOD TO ME AND TRY TO HELP ME, but it was not to be. stupid post office
he.gif
hit.gif
I REALLY WANT HIS BIRDS!! I am SERIOUSLY considering ordering his chicks next spring and take a bus down there and drive back up with them!!!
th.gif
I have another breeders birds but I WANT MONTES!!!!

How is everyone here ?
I have been so busy with our house building/garden/left knee blow-out that I have had no time to get on here & chat ......hope you all are doing well !
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom