Java Thread

Pics
I am so excited. I received a box of hatching mottled java eggs from Monte Bowen himself. I am putting some of othem under two broody hens and some in the incubator to increase my chances of chicks hatching. Did I say I was so excited????????

I was pleasantly surprised at how large the java eggs were that I rec'd from Monte. They were all on avg large size or larger. I have a kitchen scale coming from amazon (that I needed anyway) and will weigh a couple when the scale comes in the mail.

Eating the sawdust? I swear, sometimes I completely understand why people eat chickens and cows - they just aren't always the brightest things.

So far, I can't even get the chicks to eat any treats - Have tried all kinds of things (grains, mealworms, fruit/veggies, grass, yogurt) and they look at it and me like I'm crazy. Took a couple days for the 2 older chickens outside to figure out that they could eat the grass and bugs out there. I guess without having a mother to teach them things, the chicks just aren't adventurous enough to be willing to try any treats. And not smart enough to go to the other side of the feeder to eat when the big bullies get in the way.

Turkey poults are really good at eating saw dust and shavings..dumb birds !

Just another note to you who really want a broody hen to do "the work"

Broody hens require almost constant vigilance by yourself.......they are messy in their constant "rotovating" and scratching up straw & shavings into the water fonts & feeders.
Fonts & feeders have to be on the ground low so chicks can eat/drink and the hen can mess them up in no time.
I have to go clean the water fonts & feeders many times during the day.

The little chicks are also Houdinis and can escape no matter how secure their pen........and travel far distances in no time at all...they run fast !
We discovered one clear on the other side of the barn, maybe 100 feet away.
The chick had to have not only escaped his pen (with 1/2 plastic mesh) but he went through the Broody java pen (also with same mesh) and then through yet a 3rd chick pen (same mesh) and then under the barn to pop out on the other side.
Can't figure it out !!
They are also speedsters & you have to watch where you step (my greatest fear) ugh.....do not even want to think about stepping on one !!!
sad.png

Taking care of things like messy water/food containers/bedding etc. is no problem. My biggest challenge and reason for wanting a broody hen to raise chicks is more for the temperature issue (and teaching them how to be chickens). We live in a fixer upper farmhouse that has no central heat/air and minimal insulation except for the new bits of insulation we've put in (but not in rooms that we can keep chicks in). Keeping a decent temp - not too hot or too cold for baby chicks, has been a HUGE challenge when we have 30-40 degree temperature shifts every day/night and temp changes during the day depending on storm systems/overcast/sunny/etc.

I had 18 out of 48 of Monte bowen eggs to hatch.I was hoping for more but i'm happy with what i got.Big healthy chicks,

Back
Top Bottom